Now I'm getting tired of this...

Started by
25 comments, last by pulpfist 17 years, 10 months ago
I've been learning Visual Basic.NET for a couple of weeks but now I'm realy tired of my book. It doesn't teach me much. Probably mostly because of it's lack of exercises which I find frustrating (I'm a beginner, how the hell should I know what type of programs I'll be able to create without trying out my skills?). I don't have the patience to read a paragraph over and over again until I learn it by heart. I prefer to read through the text and then use the chapter as a reference when doing the exercises. This is my preferable way of learning. Even though the syntax is easy to read I don't like it now that I start do create bigger applications, the code looks horrible when it grows... I've decided to change to a language that has more documentation on it's neck and suits me better. Since I've tried C++ many times before, it's a no no at the moment. At least until I have some skills in _programming_. I guess that leaves Java for me, since there are loooads of books on the subject. Could you please post some books that not only will teach me Java, but on the same time teach me general beginner programming? I'm looking for a book that offer: • General programming consepts. • Teaches OOP, why and how to use it. • Ends each chapter with both easy and more challanging exercises. • (Ends each chapter with questions about the information) - not required • Will give me a solid foundation to continue with game programming. Thank you in advance! EDIT: Ohh... And I would be happy if you could give me tips on other books to follow up with after the first one.
Advertisement
I doubt you'll find a single book to cover all of that in detail, but you could start with Thinking In Java, with the added bonus that it's free to download. [grin]
Developing Games in Java (Paperback) by David Brackeen (Author), Bret Barker, Laurence Vanhelswue
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
Quote:Original post by OrangyTang
I doubt you'll find a single book to cover all of that in detail, but you could start with Thinking In Java, with the added bonus that it's free to download. [grin]

I took a look on that on Amazon, the reviews said that it was a little to complicated for a first book, but great for a second book... :/

EDIT: By the way; is Java free for download? In that case what is it that I should download?

EDIT2: Found it after a while of searching...

[Edited by - Zyndrof on May 31, 2006 12:17:23 PM]
the book I posted goes from basics through to complex stuff, and every chapter is all about making a game or part of a game. It even covers Math as and when necessary

As far as Java goes, for sanities sake I'd probably suggest the bloated but user friendly ide that optionally comes with the java SDK.
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
Quote:Original post by paulecoyote
As far as Java goes, for sanities sake I'd probably suggest the bloated but user friendly ide that optionally comes with the java SDK.

I dunno, I kind of like the Eclipse IDE better, even though its bulky and slow.
Quote:Original post by Mushu

Once you develop with IntelliJ, boundaries will disappear and your life experience as a developer will be completely reborn and renewed with new life and vigor.

It's THAT fundamentally good.
Quote:Original post by TheOther

Once you develop with IntelliJ, boundaries will disappear and your life experience as a developer will be completely reborn and renewed with new life and vigor.

Hmm I've never used anything other than JCreator, it always does the trick for me, pretty easy and straight-forwarded
------------Something useful could be written here...

Seconded (not that it's a big deal either way). Also, Eclipse's performance is pretty decent if you just turn off a few features like the one that underlines syntax errors and the like as you type.
Quote:Original post by Vegettex
Quote:Original post by TheOther

Hmm I've never used anything other than JCreator, it always does the trick for me, pretty easy and straight-forwarded

ditto.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement