• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

removing rotation about vertical axis

This topic is 4288 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am not sure what i am about to ask is feasible but here it is. I am looking for a method for removing rotational component about a particlar axis (e.g. the y axis, so that the animation of a dancer spinning will be turned to an animation where the dancer simply stand in its place). At the moment I achieve this by firsting converting the quaternion rotation to euler angles and simply zero the y axis component (yaw) and convert it back into quaternion. This seems to work although singularity can appear and cause discontinuity in the data, and I believe i can work around it. However I am not comfortable with the whole conversion to euler angles idea because each rotational component is not independent of each other, does anyone have a better, more sound solution? thanks

Advertisement
you might have better luck with quaternion -> matrix conversions, then constraining the matrix, re-normalise it, and reconvert to quaternion. For example

quaternion -> 3x3 matrix -> force Y axis to (0, 1, 0) -> re-normalise -> convert back to quaternion.

thank you.

I decided in the end that this way of going about the problem is too problematic, and I am going approach it differently.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement