• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
gforce100

soccer management games

This topic is 4525 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi would it be posible to make football/soccer management games in c++? i have always wanted to create a game like this, im not experianced enough to create one now, but its something i will work towards. how hard would it be? i would first create it in text first then add graphics later. how would you randomize results, can anybody help. thanks

Advertisement
Yes you can program it in c++. Tbh, you can program it in most languages. Chances are, you going to be storing the information in a database, so you might want to look into connecting to databases. I've never tried making such a problem, so someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but for randomising I would use various algorithms. These algorithms would take variable inputs (eg fitness, overall player rating, skill, etc..) and compare them to the opposing team. Then whichever has the higher results at that time, wins the ball or something. There are many inputs, and designing the way your going to handle the randomisation is important, before actually coding. It may look like a simple game to create, and from the user interface aspect it's relatively simple, but the backend stuff is very complex. However, search around, I'm sure there's info someone on the net on how to create (Soccer) management games.

It is not that hard you first think. Only if you mess up for good.

If you aren't experienced yet, it'd be better to create text version first, then write graphical version as separate program.

There are some standard library calls for randomizing.
<stdlib.h> contains functions: srand(for seeding), rand(for getting a random value)

http://cppreference.com/stdother/srand.html
http://cppreference.com/stdother/rand.html

Why do you want to program it in C++?

I would've assumed that simply randomising would not be very effective. This would generally disregard the skill of the players, which would make the matches boring. It would also defeat the purpose of transferring players since it's all random. Unless I'm missing something?

Quote:
Original post by phi
I would've assumed that simply randomising would not be very effective. Unless I'm missing something?

It was just the basic things I was telling. :)

your approach looks sexy. I'd also use database for that job, after determining if it is necessary... Thought, using database as runtime container would be powerful thing, but easily a big overkill. Initializing&using such thing can be very hard compared to something what language provides inside itself. Don't forget multisets, vectors, sets, stacks, queues...

thanks you have given me hope,
but how would i store the players data, so its easy to access?
im learning c++ so itseasier to learn while creating

i think that i will work towards a small version with only a few players and as i get better and more experianced i will expand, and expand.
thanks for the help.

[Edited by - gforce100 on June 2, 2006 5:57:16 AM]

ok i now think that i should start working at this game,
im still learning but i can practise what ive learnt,

but i dont know where to start,
i know i need to set the teams and players but how?
can anybody help,
thanks

How would you set the values in any other program? If you're not sure, then you probably need to work through a few more C++ examples first.

I'd especially recommend looking up classes and structs, as well as standard library containers such as lists. I'd probably create classes to represent clubs and players. I'd keep those clubs in a list, and each club would contain its own list of players.

You could start off with no lists and just have the classes, however. Create a club class, and in it you might have an array of 11 players. You could use arrays to store the various player attributes, etc.

ok thanks
i think i was getting ahead of myself before,
i would need also to make every club contain arrays for players and all the stats,
thanks

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!