• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Visual Studio problem

This topic is 4372 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition and for some reason the editor won't accept certain keys like Enter, backspace, delete, any of the arrow keys and several other non-character keys. This just started up today and I can't figure out what the problem is. Yesterday I downloaded and installed the new DirectX SDK so I tried uninstalling it to see if that fixed the problem. It didn't. I'd really like to find a way to fix this instead of having to reinstall the software. Does anybody know a fix to this?

Advertisement
Uhh,

That's a weird one.

Have you tried resetting your keymap yet? Go to Tools->Options, then expand Environment. Towards the bottom is a Keyboard menu item. Try resetting your keyboard mapping by clicking the "Reset" button, or just switch to a different keymap and see if that solves your problem.

Cheers!

Wow, that's crazy. I am also using VS 2005 but didn't have the issues you're talking about. You would think at a minimum that you could expect your keyboard to continue to work after installing something! The only thing I can think of is perhaps reinstalling the keyboard driver? Clearly you shouldn't have to do this, but I'm at a loss.

An interesting thing to check would be under the Tools/Options menu. Check out the Keyboard node under Environment. Perhaps there are some shortcuts associated with those keys?

Yeah, I tried resetting the keymap and resetting the settings. Apparently this was a common bug with the Beta2 version and there is an existing Bug Report. I'm going through the fixes now, but none of them seem to work.

Also, when I export the settings or reset the settings, It says

Error 1: Failed to export settings for 'Keyboard'
Error 2: An error occurred while importing settings for 'Keyboard'.

Found a fix.

Quote:

To fix the issue, I have to delete all config files and start over again.

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\settings

Quote:
Original post by njpaul
Found a fix.

Quote:

To fix the issue, I have to delete all config files and start over again.

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\settings

That confirms my first assessment of the situation. That's crazy! At least I'll know what to do if it happens to me!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!