4E5: Questions and comments

Started by
202 comments, last by superpig 17 years, 4 months ago
Quote:Original post by paulecoyote
I'm gonna nit pick and say that on the http://www.gamedev.net/community/contest/4e5/ page it says "1 days left" instead of "1 day left" [wink]
Well, not to nitpick, but it actually says "1 days remaining" [grin]

superpig - I understand if the judges aren't able to write essays about each game, but will we at least be able to expect a score for each category, as a sort of mostly-guaranteed minimum?
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by d000hg
Good! However can't you commit to a minimum level of feedback

I've already answered this twice: No, I will not commit to a minimum level of feedback.

The best I can give you is as Avatar God says - a "mostly-guaranteed minimum" of a score for each category.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote:Original post by Avatar God
Quote:Original post by paulecoyote
I'm gonna nit pick and say that on the http://www.gamedev.net/community/contest/4e5/ page it says "1 days left" instead of "1 day left" [wink]
Well, not to nitpick, but it actually says "1 days remaining" [grin]

superpig - I understand if the judges aren't able to write essays about each game, but will we at least be able to expect a score for each category, as a sort of mostly-guaranteed minimum?

I deserved that [smile]
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
Quote:Original post by superpig
Good! However can't you commit to a minimum level of feedback

I've already answered this twice: No, I will not commit to a minimum level of feedback.

The best I can give you is as Avatar God says - a "mostly-guaranteed minimum" of a score for each category.
I feel sorry for Superpig - all this hassle and it's not even started yet; have you got some good stress relief solutions lined up for the next 6 months?!

Oh, can you state if each game will get viewed by every judge, or if they might get split into groups? I've seen contests (including ones on this site) where a game has got 2/10 from one judge and 9/10 from another; I think it's fairer to get each judge to see every game if possible.
On the subject of submitting a collection - for instance one game for each element - how will they be judged against a single entry? Will each collection game have to be of similar quality to the single entry, or would they get away with being smaller in scope as long as a good variety of gameplay is present?

I quite like the idea of 4 small games, but splitting the time 4 ways instead of working 4 times as hard!
On the subject of submitting a collection - for instance one game for each element - how will they be judged against a single entry? Will each collection game have to be of similar quality to the single entry, or would they get away with being smaller in scope as long as a good variety of gameplay is present?
They'd be treated as if they were four different play modes in a single entry. So, no, I'm not expecting each separate mode to have the same magnitude as a single whole entry. You will lose some opportunities that you'd have if you did it all as a single game - for example, it's harder to build up a story or a drawn-out learning curve - because they'd be shorter.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Oh, can you state if each game will get viewed by every judge, or if they might get split into groups? I've seen contests (including ones on this site) where a game has got 2/10 from one judge and 9/10 from another; I think it's fairer to get each judge to see every game if possible.
I can't say either way (again, it depends on the number of entries, and also on the number of people who eventually commit to being judges). What I can say is that I'm committed to making the judging as fair as possible given the time constraints, and no entry will risk getting low scores simply because one judge had a bad day.

I know this is really pushing it (i'm already very happy about the 5900fx being min requirements [smile]) ...but how about some gamepad support like XInput? I'm not suggesting that it be used instead of keyboard/mouse ...but as an optional means of input where any game that did use it also had to provide keyboard/mouse support ...but all the judges themselves had the xbox360 pads [wink]

Wasn't there a recent competition in which this was the case (Seeing Double)?
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube
I've got an XNA Common Controller, and it was accessible to SD because I was the only judge, but that's not the case this time around. If you want to add controller support, you're more than welcome, and it might get tested... but keyboard/mouse support are the only guaranteed input mechanisms.

Very interesting elements; nice use of the four "E"'s.

In regards to the Europe element: Does it have to be a recognizable city that substantially affects gameplay, or can it just be a generic location that we state is set in Europe?
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement