4E5: Questions and comments

Started by
202 comments, last by superpig 17 years, 3 months ago
Now that the Official Site is up, I welcome you all to go and take a look at the rules, specs, judging, etc. Doubtless some of you will have questions or comments about the structure of the contest; I'd love to hear them, as I'm still open to tweaking/tuning things in the next couple of days if people notice loopholes or border cases that I've not covered. So, if you've got feedback on the structure of the contest itself, stick it in this thread and I'll do what I can to answer everything...

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Advertisement
1)Can you add that .CHM is supported as a manual format?
2)The score categories are clearly stated (good) but it's not stated if we'll be told our breakdown, or any part of our score. Will every entry get e full review or will there be a first pass like last time? Please can it be explicitly stated the minimum and expected level of feedback each entry should get - if the answer is "not much" then knowing before-hand would at least be better.
3)That FastPopCap thing we get a license to - what is it?! You miss a chance to promote your sponsor by not saying this on the contest page at all.

Thanks.
Quote:Original post by d000hg
1)Can you add that .CHM is supported as a manual format?
Done.

Quote:2)The score categories are clearly stated (good) but it's not stated if we'll be told our breakdown, or any part of our score. Will every entry get e full review or will there be a first pass like last time? Please can it be explicitly stated the minimum and expected level of feedback each entry should get - if the answer is "not much" then knowing before-hand would at least be better.
Sorry, but no. I'm not going to commit my judges to some particular level of feedback before we even know a ballpark figure for the number of entries we'll be having to get through. You'll have to make do, for now, with my word that I'll try and get things done better than last year.

Quote:
3)That FastPopCap thing we get a license to - what is it?! You miss a chance to promote your sponsor by not saying this on the contest page at all.
You mean you never clicked on the link, or looked at the Sponsor page, where it clearly says "Use FastCap game recorder to capture game video/audio."?

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This is the deal breaker for me, I would look at this as more of a spit and polish learning expiriance, but there is no learning if you dont at least know what to do better next time, or what you did right the first time. It would really be benificial if a small pro/con type system was listed for all entrees, if the entrees were even looked at, that should not be a problem should it?
Quote:7. Entrants are both allowed and encouraged to use 3rd party libraries, engines, and middleware to develop their entry, provided that whatever they use permits unrestricted distribution of the resulting entry executable per the Legal requirements of this contest.

Would this include the use of DXUT?
Quote:Original post by PaulCesar
This is the deal breaker for me, I would look at this as more of a spit and polish learning expiriance, but there is no learning if you dont at least know what to do better next time, or what you did right the first time. It would really be benificial if a small pro/con type system was listed for all entrees, if the entrees were even looked at, that should not be a problem should it?

As I've said before, I know that feedback is important to people and I am looking to get as much feedback as possible for people. I just don't know, at the moment, how much that's going to be. You guys have made me very much aware that if I don't up the level of feedback significantly from that presented after 4E4, you'll lynch me. I don't wanna be lynched. I wanna make you guys happy - that's why I run these, after all - so I'll see what I can do.

Quote:Original post by AdamWebb
Quote:7. Entrants are both allowed and encouraged to use 3rd party libraries, engines, and middleware to develop their entry, provided that whatever they use permits unrestricted distribution of the resulting entry executable per the Legal requirements of this contest.

Would this include the use of DXUT?

Let me get in touch with MS and check; based on the language in the SDK ("Its goal is to make Direct3D samples, prototypes, and tools as well as professional games more robust and easier to build.") I'm guessing that it'll be fine to use.

The rules page specifies that .NET 2.0 will be supported, but only mentions MDX 1.1. Are we really limited to 1.1, when we could use 2.0?
Ollie"It is better to ask some of the questions than to know all the answers." ~ James Thurber[ mdxinfo | An iridescent tentacle | Game design patterns ]
Quote:Original post by acid2
The rules page specifies that .NET 2.0 will be supported, but only mentions MDX 1.1. Are we really limited to 1.1, when we could use 2.0?

MDX 2.0 is in beta, and will never be coming out of it (as it's being superceded by the XNA Framework). It's not been released outside of the DXSDK, so I'm not supporting it,as the target scenario is supposed to reflect end-user setups.

You can create a 2.0 installer out of the DX SDK -- it's messy, but it can be done.

Chances are, if you make a slick installer, nobody will notice if you're using MDX 2.0 :-) However, the work of creating the installer will take away from the work of polishing the game.

Also: this should be a rule if it isn't already: If your game or installer messes up a judge's computer, you are automatically sent to the bottom of the list (even though judges are likely to re-image their systems after judging).
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement