Am I behind?

Started by
15 comments, last by Michael_P2234 17 years, 10 months ago
I have no knowledge of ANY programming languages. I am taking my first computer class in the fall 06 (College Sophmore year). Is that too late? Should I have been learning earlier? What languages should I need to know for a job in the industry. C++,C, and maybe Python? Is that all? How many months our of the year do you work? If the game takes 9 months to complete, Will I be sent away for the 3 months and have to look for another job? What exactly does a finished project mean? I have to see it through to the end? If I don't I won't be looked upon as a "finisher"? How big are the teams generally? Do all the programmers/artist/designers works in one big room? Is there interaction in the workplace? Or is it a group of silent cubicles? Is it easy to change from a developer/programmer to a designer? What would you say the ratio is for African Americans in the industry? It's a bunch of questions, I know. Just couldn't find these on the sloperama site.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by lordmenace
I have no knowledge of ANY programming languages. I am taking my first computer class in the fall 06 (College Sophmore year). Is that too late? Should I have been learning earlier?
Too late for what? There is no time like the present. You can't change the past. And no employer will care if you started programming in college, high school, or at age 3. All they care about is if you can get the job done.
What languages should I need to know for a job in the industry. C++,C, and maybe Python? Is that all?
You probably don't need C.
How many months our of the year do you work? If the game takes 9 months to complete, Will I be sent away for the 3 months and have to look for another job?
12 months a year, just like every other professional programming job.
What exactly does a finished project mean? I have to see it through to the end? If I don't I won't be looked upon as a "finisher"?
I think you can answer these for yourself. Finish your schooling -- get a degree. Finishing everything else is optional.
How big are the teams generally? Do all the programmers/artist/designers works in one big room? Is there interaction in the workplace? Or is it a group of silent cubicles?
All of these vary. If by "team" you mean a team of programmers, those can be anywhere from 3 to 15 people. The total number of programmers, artists, designers, musicians, and others involved in developing a commercial game can vary from 15 to 500. Most games display the credits somewhere, those are all the people who worked on the game. Most people don't work in one big room, but cubicles are common. And of course there is interaction at the work place, otherwise no work would get done.
Is it easy to change from a developer/programmer to a designer?
This one is answered Tom Sloper's article #7: Game Biz Jobs and the links inside that article. It is just like any other lateral career move.
What would you say the ratio is for African Americans in the industry?
About the same as it is with programmers generally.

these questions don't show much insight. If you ask me, this thread is a big joke...

@frob: C is a very important language and it's still used a lot in timecritical code.
Quote:Original post by mf_83
these questions don't show much insight. If you ask me, this thread is a big joke...

@frob: C is a very important language and it's still used a lot in timecritical code.

Why the hostility? OP is obviously eager to learn and is curious where s/he stands and what it will take to catch up if need be. And as far as C goes, I was under the impression that was used for very low-level things like drivers where every instruction counts; anyway if OP learns to program it won't be a big deal at all to pick up C later if s/he ever needs it.
It only takes one mistake to wake up dead the next morning.
ok, maybe I was a little to harsh, but I just don't understand why he asks those kind of questions. There are tons of questions you would ask about entering the business, but asking "Do all the programmers/artist/designers works in one big room" isn't one of them, or at least, I don't find it particularly useful. Everybody knows they put programmers in caves without outside contact 'til they finish the game ;)

[sarcasm]I apologize for not knowing the answers to everything. I also apologize for making this thread because it annoys you so much.[/sarcasm] :/

frob, thanks for the response. You have shed a big light on a grey area for me.

this is a forum from what i have seen and this is where you ask your questions and s/he wants to know the answers to his questions. there is no need to tell him that this a worthless thread just because u might know the answer and he doesnt.

just my 2cents
@mf_83 - There is no reason to be an ass. Not everybody is as "brilliant" as you are :(

@OP - There are some very good articles to learn about the game industry at IGDA Articles, including answers to your questions about quality of living and race. Good luck!

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

ok, maybe I was a little to harsh, but I just don't understand why he asks those kind of questions. There are tons of questions you would ask about entering the business, but asking "Do all the programmers/artist/designers works in one big room" isn't one of them, or at least, I don't find it particularly useful. Everybody knows they put programmers in caves without outside contact 'til they finish the game ;)

That just so happens to be the work enviroment I prefer. I prefer not to work in a cubicle but more in an open room. I like to interact with co-workers not be secluded/confined to a portion of the room.
Ace Lordmen wrote:
>What would you say the ratio is for African Americans in the industry?

I don't know, you can find that on the IGDA site, but what does it matter? If you're African-American and you have the drive and the talent, just go for it, dude. I mean, what difference does it make what some ratio is?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement