• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ehmdjii

whats your up vector?

This topic is 4524 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

this should be some kind of poll :) how do you usually set up the up-vector of your camera? y-axis? <0,1,0> z-axis? <0,0,1> or even x-axis? <1,0,0> personally i like y, but since 3ds max is kind of a standard for game models and it uses z, i consider changing.

Advertisement
Y. If I'm dealing with meshes from a different coordinate system, I just rotate them. Here's a matrix that swaps a mesh's Y and Z axis:

1 0 0 0
0 0 1 0
0 1 0 0
0 0 0 1

Y, all the way. I don't know why, but it just feels most natural. Probably because in 2D, y is up and down on my monitor, so I want to keep that assossiation with 3D.

- Z-up feels more natural for me. I see the up coordinate to be an extension to the x,y 2d space.

In a 3d-world, it feels simpler to define a location of something as x,y-coordinate pair than x,z.

About the screen space correlating to the 3d space, I get most annoyed in 3d modelling programs such as AutoCAD when they change the z-axis to be y-axis.

I like Y+ as up and Z+ as depth.
Coming from a 2D background the x controls left and right, and Y controls up and down. Then Z would naturally add depth and make things 3D.

If you started doing 3D by looking at 3D software like 3D Studio Max you'd probably like Z+ as up more :)

Y-axis is always up for me. I can't see why you'd use Z. All math and physics use Y as the up axis (at least that I've seen so far) so why change it?

Quote:
Original post by NickGravelyn
I can't see why you'd use Z.

Terrains, x,y -> latitutude, longitude (heightmap indices, x,y are 'natura' loop itors)
z-> altitude

Z is also the direction the OpenGL camera looks through, and if you're looking down on a terrain from a birds eye view, then....

The point is moot, my game's a Descent Clone, there is no up or down. And I use a freecamera that uses direct orientation matrices so I don't care about x,y,z rotation direction reference...

and my physics code is all Vector/Matrix encapsulated, so i don't care what direction the textbooks use as up or down; I don't deal with anything that low level...

So Yeah, 'up' is pretty meaningless

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!