whats your up vector?

Started by
23 comments, last by vNistelrooy 17 years, 10 months ago
this should be some kind of poll :) how do you usually set up the up-vector of your camera? y-axis? <0,1,0> z-axis? <0,0,1> or even x-axis? <1,0,0> personally i like y, but since 3ds max is kind of a standard for game models and it uses z, i consider changing.
Advertisement
Y. If I'm dealing with meshes from a different coordinate system, I just rotate them. Here's a matrix that swaps a mesh's Y and Z axis:

1 0 0 00 0 1 00 1 0 00 0 0 1

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Y, all the way. I don't know why, but it just feels most natural. Probably because in 2D, y is up and down on my monitor, so I want to keep that assossiation with 3D.
Ollie"It is better to ask some of the questions than to know all the answers." ~ James Thurber[ mdxinfo | An iridescent tentacle | Game design patterns ]
yer, respect to +y

2d x (left/right), y (up/down)
then add z(depth) for 3d
Normally for me, +Z is +Altitude.. so <0,0,1>
- Z-up feels more natural for me. I see the up coordinate to be an extension to the x,y 2d space.

In a 3d-world, it feels simpler to define a location of something as x,y-coordinate pair than x,z.

About the screen space correlating to the 3d space, I get most annoyed in 3d modelling programs such as AutoCAD when they change the z-axis to be y-axis.
I like Y+ as up and Z+ as depth.
Coming from a 2D background the x controls left and right, and Y controls up and down. Then Z would naturally add depth and make things 3D.

If you started doing 3D by looking at 3D software like 3D Studio Max you'd probably like Z+ as up more :)
Y-Axis - <0, 1, 0>
Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.
Y-axis is always up for me. I can't see why you'd use Z. All math and physics use Y as the up axis (at least that I've seen so far) so why change it?
Quote:Original post by NickGravelyn
I can't see why you'd use Z.

Terrains, x,y -> latitutude, longitude (heightmap indices, x,y are 'natura' loop itors)
z-> altitude

Z is also the direction the OpenGL camera looks through, and if you're looking down on a terrain from a birds eye view, then....

The point is moot, my game's a Descent Clone, there is no up or down. And I use a freecamera that uses direct orientation matrices so I don't care about x,y,z rotation direction reference...

and my physics code is all Vector/Matrix encapsulated, so i don't care what direction the textbooks use as up or down; I don't deal with anything that low level...

So Yeah, 'up' is pretty meaningless

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement