• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

C++ user-defined stream operators for streamable objects

This topic is 4282 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm tryin to define an own ">>" operator for an own class i C++. The idea is that I want to be able to write stuff like this:
	OwnClass foobar;
	int blah;
	char something_else;
	fstream file;
	file.open("test.txt");
	if(file.is_open()) {
		file>>blah;
		file>>foobar;
		file>>something_else;
	}

Here's the file test2.h in which I've declared the own object:
#include <fstream>
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

class OwnClass {
public:
	OwnClass();
	~OwnClass();
	friend istream& operator>> (istream& f, OwnClass& c);

private:
	int hello;
	char hello2;
	float hello3;
};

istream& operator>> (istream& f, OwnClass& c);

And finally here's the part of test2.cpp file in which I've defined all the stuff:
istream& operator>> (istream& f, OwnClass& c) {
	f>>c.hello;
	f>>c.hello2;
	f>>c.hello3;
	return f;
}

Now when I try to compile this I get two errors: - a complaint that the operator can't access private members of OwnClass. Why? Shouldn't the friend declaration allow that? - a complaint that the ">>" operator in the main() function (in a file called Test.cpp which includes Test2.h) is ambigious. The code in main is the following:
int main() {
	OwnClass foobar;
	fstream file;
	file.open("test.txt");
	if(file.is_open()) {
		file>>foobar;
	}
}

Preferably I'd like the stream to handle binary files rather than text files. [Edited by - all_names_taken on June 1, 2006 5:41:46 AM]

Advertisement
What compiler are you using? Your code compiles fine under all three of my compilers.

Please note that putting a using declaration in a header file is evil since every source file that includes that header, whether directly or indirectly, is now implicitly using that symbol or namespace now too, whether it wanted to or not.

Σnigma

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement