• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
pot

Please Attempt my Video Questionnaire

This topic is 4426 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am researching people's perception of objects bouncing around, much like objects bouncing around in a computer game. So I have devised an online questionnaire. Each question is a video which you watch then answer a question about it. Each video has two chairs falling and bouncing around. You must not look directly at the chairs at all during the video. Instead fixate on the Red Cube at the bottom of the video for the duration of the video (about 6 secs). Then answer whether you thought the bouncing motion of the chairs looked 'correct'or 'incorrect'. It is quite tricky to guess as you cant look directly at the chairs so if you are unsure select the 'unsure' answer. It takes about 20 mins to complete. Please read the instructions very carefully before you start the test. You will need to change you screen resolution to 1024 x 768, and I have only tested the site in internet explorer so best to use that browser (if you dont have internet explorer im sure it will work in other browsers, if it doesnt please let me know) If you have any comments about what you thought of the test please reply to this post. Here is the link http://www.cmp.uea.ac.uk/~je Thanks in advance Pot

Advertisement
I had some trouble on the first few videos... the video box / window just appeared white, and the video progress bar went across as if the video was playing, but I saw nothing but white. I discovered that after covering and then uncovering the video area, it would then play properly. Minimizing the browser didn't work, but switching to another window over top, then back, did. I'm using FireFox, and probably don't have the most recent version of the windows media player plugins...

Yeah with fire fox I found that if you click on anything before the video has finished it turn white. However, if you just leave the page to load and play it seemed to work. Not sure if this is the same problem. Any way it definately works on IE so I would use that browser.

[Edited by - pot on June 3, 2006 10:23:37 AM]

Thanks to all those who have taken the test so far. I am getting some interesting results.

I need more people to attempt still. So if u have a spare 15 mins please give it a go.

Much appreciated

pot

I am just doing it now, there are lots of questions! Are you supposed to look at the block because the chairs never actually collide? Or is there another reason?

[edit] ahhh, some of them do actually collide.[/edit]

What is the aim of this test? Whats its purpose?

I am trying to see how good people are at judging collisions when they dont look directly at the collision. So the chair collide at different distances to the red cube and a different contrasts to the surface.

So I am approximating the chairs with spheres, boxes, chair shaped boxes, low res chair and high res chairs.

If you had a system that needs to run in real time, you could make sacrifices by approximating the objects as simpler objects. Perception could be one such way to decided which objects could be simpified. If for example two chairs where falling at a distance with a low contrast you could argue that the 'player' wont percieve imperfections that easily ( assuming they are lookin at the action around their character). So you could use say a 'bounding box' - as the player will perceive there is no gap between the objects as far as they can tell.

Im just kind of testing how feasible this idea is. Its very hard to create a good experiment for it so this is a starting point really. From the comments people give and the results, I can see what factors are effecting peoples judgements and what assumptions they make and why.

I am kind of following on from this paper -

http://isg.cs.tcd.ie/pubs/acmcollisions.pdf

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!