J2ME + multiplayer games

Started by
5 comments, last by Frank Henry 17 years, 10 months ago
Hello! I am wondering if it's possible to make a massive multiplayer game suited for mobile phones. I've been doing some research but I can't find any right solution which would make a continous client-server communication possible. Everything failes. I've tried UDP, sockets and HTTP. The last one was so far the best but still I experienced awful time intervals which make a reasonable communication impossible. For instance, in England you can't use UDP or sockets. Is there any general solution? Which method is the fastest? Do you know if anyone tried making any global scalable applications for mobile phones? Thank you in advance
___Quote:Know where basis goes, know where rest goes.
Advertisement
my company (Gameloft, SA - www.gameloft.com) creates multiplayer games (not massive ones); we have an auto racing game and Ghost Recon, however we only do it through BREW. I am not certain about any real time games over Java however.
For realtime you would usually need either a 3G network or a very slow game. TCP should work on 2.5G networks but often it will require special connectivity settings like an internet API (bypassing the WAP gateway). You'd have to approach your network provider to ask them about that.

If you want to try out some 3G Java games, these guys have a couple.

shmoove
Thank you guys. :) Just please don't go away since I would probably have some more questions tommorow.

Cheers!
Hi, it's me again. ;)

Is it possible to make a HTTP chunked transmition using WAP conncetion ? Each time I try it the transmision is blocked after the first chunk is recevied. The proxy server closes the connection. Do you know any solution to this ?

Thanks
can you zap me an e-mail on cwesterman@pandemicstudios.com? I'd like to ask you a question please subject header "Multi-Player"
I and a collegue did contract work that also included Bluetooth.
Unfortunelty the devices we got from the contractor and worked on had issues with bluetooth.
We had it running great but the devices were the problems.
Kinda the story of J2ME. Apps work great.. until you put them on the devices.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement