• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

outdoorsr

New approach to programming??????

This topic is 6311 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What do you think about "open source" game programming like Linux. One group would program lets say, water and the way it acts with the environment, another group, human movement, another group, weather and atmospheric conditions. They would constantly be refined and could all be brought together. I would love to know what everyone thinks about this. Thanks.:-)

Advertisement
I think the idea of open source projects is GREAT... in theory.

In practice it will result in the same disjointed look and feel that Linux has. Config files follow no set pattern, they''re SUPPOSED to be under /etc, but they''re not always. They follow no consistent format, I could go on for ages...

Now imagine all of the ''minor'' problems that Linux has applied to game physics / timing. =)

*yuck*

True, but if everything was able to be a "separate entity" and have common "rules of physics" then it would help in that. I am not a programmer, just a game lover and thinker.

Sure, when working with more than one developer, you seperate the project into modules of some kind. You specify interfaces and behavior on all of the modules to make sure they interact with each other correctly.

The problem I see with opensource projects is that they rarely have rigid enough guidelines.

This isn''t to say that it''s impossible, I just generally don''t like working on opensource projects because they lack that rigidity.

There''s a project on gamedev to make a guantlet clone... kinda like what you''re talking about.

There''s a few issues that need to be address. I imagine that they have been addressed to some degree on other open source projects, but I''m sure how to solve all the following problems:

Who gets to design it? How long will that take?
How you you determine who works on what?
How you validate new source?
How do you migrate from an old interface to a new one?

Magmai Kai Holmlor
- The disgruntled & disillusioned

Right, I agree that the guidelines would have to be in place and that would be hard but definitely not impossible. Take for instance IEEE and ISO. These groups have gotten together to set rigid standards that companies must follow when producing products. Getting people together from various game manufacturers to form a committee would be great. With their knowledge they could come up with the standards. Different groups would then form, kind of like beta testing sign-ups. These groups would then start to work on the various elements (water, atmosphere, etc.) Most likely this Standards group would be on a volunteer basis unless the game manufacturers saw that they could profit greatly from this.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!