• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Question about the TCP/IP Protocol

This topic is 4281 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know that the main diference between TCP/IP and UDP is that the TCP/IP packets are assured to allways arrive. My question is, does the the TCP/IP Protocol also assure the integrity of the data that arrives? Or should we add some CRC32 on top of it?

Advertisement
As far as I know, TCP/IP guarantees that packets arrive in the correct order and without error. So additional error-checking would not be necessary, unless you need to figure out if you aren't being cheated upon.

What kind of integrity are you interested in, temper-resistance or random errors?

Random errors are usually handled at the lower (physical or link) layers of the transmission. Nevertheless IP packets contain a crc32 that is checked at every hop.

Yes, random errors, errors that occur from the fisicality/ fragility of the transmission, but aparently TCP/IP already handles that layer.

I might add an MD5 signature for data-tampering resistance, but for now I'm satisfied with what the protocol is offering.

Thanks for the info, Rate++ [wink]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement