• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Threading Data Sharing(Solved)

This topic is 4344 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Back with more threading problems: Okay I have two threads , each are both basically two loops. They are both operating on the same data list. Now, each element in the list has a critical section like so: me[x]->Edit(); //enter critical section // do stuff to me me[x]->DoneEdit(); // leave the problem is I think that Thread1 has not sent it's me[x] back into memory, even after it leaves the critical section. And while Thread2 is operating on it, Thread1 writes to memory. How can I make sure that both these threads can operate on the same data? Without locking out the whole list? Thanks again [Edited by - MetaKnight on June 1, 2006 2:13:37 PM]

Advertisement
Hmmm, I kinda doubt making it volatile is going to solve his problem. In fact I doubt it has anything to do with one of the threads not having written its data back to memory, but it's hard to see what might be causing this unless you post the relevant code here. I'd be interested to see the actual loops as well as the implementations of the Edit() and DoneEdit() methods.

Quote:
Original post by MetaKnight
How can I make sure that both these threads can operate on the same data? Without locking out the whole list?

Your threads are not changing the list itself, only the elements contained therein, right? If so, mutex-protecting the whole list isn't going to do anything for you since you've already given the individual list elements mutex protection.

Quote:
Original post by MetaKnight
me[x]->Edit(); //enter critical section
// do stuff to me
me[x]->DoneEdit(); // leave

This is one of the most important uses of the RAII idiom.

class Locker {
public:
Locker(Me& me)
: m_me(me)
{ m_me.Edit(); }

~Locker()
{ m_me.DoneEdit(); }

private:
Me& m_me;
};

// somewhere in code
{
Locker lock(*me[x]);
// .. do something with me
} // guaranteed critical section release

Quote:
Original post by perfectly_dark
According to this that's exactly what volatile would do (in the given example). Other than that though I have no other ideas, I'm not really a multithreaded programmer.

From the article you posted:

Quote:

In short, data shared between threads is conceptually volatile outside a critical section, and non-volatile inside a critical section.

There you have it. If you're correctly using mutex-protection, there is no way your variable can somehow get corrupted by another thread. Shared data may very well be volatile in nature outside of critical sections, but who cares? If you're in any way accessing shared data outside a critical section then you're doing something that you MUST not do, and your program is simply incorrect. IMHO.

okay I took out all the weird parts of my code and ran this, and it still has the same problem so here is the data for each thread:

this is what edit and done-edit look like

gameNode::gameNode()
{
InitializeCriticalSection(&mySection);
}
void gameNode::Edit()
{
EnterCriticalSection(&mySection);
}
void gameNode::DoneEdit()
{
LeaveCriticalSection(&mySection);
}

this is what the first thread basicaly looks like

gameNode *gameRunner = NULL;

for(list<gameNode*>::iterator iter = gameList.begin();iter != gameList.end();iter++)
{
gameRunner = (*iter);
gameRunner->Edit();
gameRunner->Run();
gameRunner->DoneEdit();
}

and the other thread looks the same except insted of ->Run is ->Draw

Now when I try to make
gameNode *gameRunner = NULL;
into
volatile gameNode *gameRunner = NULL;

but then each funtion gets an error like so:

error C2662: 'gameNode::DoneEdit' : cannot convert 'this' pointer from 'volatile gameNode' to 'gameNode &'

error C2662: 'gameNode::Edit' : cannot convert 'this' pointer from 'volatile gameNode' to 'gameNode &'

error C2662: 'gameNode::Run' : cannot convert 'this' pointer from 'volatile gameNode' to 'gameNode &'

Ive never had to use volatile before, I have always issumed that Critial section took care of this for me.

Quote:
There you have it. If you're correctly using mutex-protection, there is no way your variable can somehow get corrupted by another thread. Shared data may very well be volatile in nature outside of critical sections, but who cares? If you're in any way accessing shared data outside a critical section then you're doing something that you MUST not do, and your program is simply incorrect. IMHO.

Ah, I understand now. As I said, I'm not really a multithreaded programmer [grin]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement