• Advertisement
Mithrandir

Kibibytes are retarded.

This topic is 4525 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I got banned from wikipedia because I changed references to "kibibytes" back to their proper "kilobytes" in a bunch of articles. I was warned to stop it, at which point I got into a lengthy discussion about why the term "kibibyte" is entirely inappropriate for use (I'll give my argument in a bit). The wikipedia moderators ignored every point and said "we use kibibyte here, no exceptions". Of course, since I act very childishly sometimes when people act like retards toward me, I went ahead and changed about 50 pages to refer to "kilobytes" rather than "kibibytes", at which point they banned me for life. I can't say I'm surprised, I'm just effing pissed off that they blindly pretend to smarter than they actually are and use the "IEC Approved" terms kibibyte, mebibyte, gibibyte, etc, rather than the established kilobyte, megabyte, gigabyte, etc. Now, my question is, who the eff is stupid enough to actually use these new terms? Seriously. My arguments against "??bibyte" terms: 1) There is over 50 years of established parlance using "kilo", rather than "kibi". If we were to suddenly change the definition of "kilobyte" to mean 10^3 bytes, then we would immediately invalidate 50 years worth of documentation, literature, and customs. 2) Bytes are not SI units, and as such, should not be treated as if they were. 3) Computers are binary machines, and will always be binary machines (>2ary machines have been shown to be mathematically less efficient per cost than binary machines, and it is extremely unlikely that they will ever exist in the mainstream), and it makes no sense to try to shoehorn decimal units into a binary system. Memory in particular will always be measured in base-2 numbers. 4) Absolutely no one in the real world uses the ??bi- terms. Microsoft, Apple, etc. 5) The base-10 measuring of bytes was started by hard drive manufacturers trying to decieve customers by using inappropriate labelling to artificially inflate their drive sizes. By accepting their redefined definitions, we've just validated deception. 6) The terms just plain sound stupid. Kibibyte? What are they, dog food? Come ON! In conclusion, I will always use kilobyte to mean 2^10 bytes, and I will correct anyone who says anything different. I do not accept the new terms.

Advertisement
Yeah, everyone knows kibibytes are retarded. That's why nobody uses them outside of Europe and pedantic distributions of software.

Honestly I rather them use Kibi or Mebibytes. That's how the vendors truly measure memory. When Seagate says their HDD is 1GB, it isn't 1024^3 bytes; it is actually 1000^3 bytes. But since consumers are so used to seeing Megabytes and most don't know what that actually means. The consumer has no idea that they are getting cheated out of a few hundred actual Megabytes. In short, it's false advertising.

You should evade the ban and change every instance of the word "kilogram" to "kibigram".

Ffh wikipedia bastards.

Quote:
Original post by Ravuya
Yeah, everyone knows kibibytes are retarded. That's why nobody uses them outside of Europe and pedantic distributions of software.

Europe? What? Did I miss a sarcasm tag or something?

Quote:
Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
Honestly I rather them use Kibi or Mebibytes. That's how the vendors truly measure memory. When Seagate says their HDD is 1GB, it isn't 1024^3 bytes; it is actually 1000^3 bytes. But since consumers are so used to seeing Megabytes and most don't know what that actually means. The consumer has no idea that they are getting cheated out of a few hundred actual Megabytes. In short, it's false advertising.

See Item #5:

5) The base-10 measuring of bytes was started by hard drive manufacturers trying to decieve customers by using inappropriate labelling to artificially inflate their drive sizes. By accepting their redefined definitions, we've just validated deception.

I refuse to validate their deception.

And no, this is not how vendors truly measure memory. Memory is always stated in binary-bytes.

1GB of RAM = 1024MB of RAM = 2^20KB of RAM = 2^30B of RAM.

Unless we all start going around sounding like retards and saying "I just upgraded my RAM with 1.073 more Gigabytes! YAY!!!!"

Quote:
Original post by Prozak
Quote:
Original post by Ravuya

Europe? What? Did I miss a sarcasm tag or something?

Most of the sites I see kibibytes being used on are either European or Linux distributions. Or, um, Wikipedia.

North America is hilariously resistant to change (We still use CDMA! Hooray for us!) so most sites I see from here are still in kilobytes and megabytes.

Quote:
Original post by Ainokea
Wow you get way to worked up about stuff that really doesn't matter.

I made a few correct changes and they threatened to ban me.

Who's the one getting worked up here first?

Quote:
Original post by Mithrandir
Quote:
Original post by Ainokea
Wow you get way to worked up about stuff that really doesn't matter.

I made a few correct changes and they threatened to ban me.

Who's the one getting worked up here first?

Wiki-drama is a losing game. It's even more losinging than ratings or forum drama.

This topic is 4525 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.