Sign in to follow this  
Haeglo

I'm New :)

Hey everyone, I am new to the forums as all of you can see I am sure... I have been doing game programming for 1 whole week now... I have been programming in other languages (mostly Web and Server Side) for 4 years now. 2 Questions I have about C++ Game programming: 1) I can do the whole character inventory thing, but I want to insert an image instead of just text, is this possible? 2) How do you actually create a .exe file? I have editing programs, both by Microsoft (beta) and Bloodshed Dev-C++ IDE but I don't see an actual compiler anywhere. Thanks for your help all.

For the first question, you will have to give more detail. Where do you want to insert your picture? What kind of graphics API are you using? What kind of game is this? And what do you mean by 'the whole character inventory thing', anyway?

For the second question, no idea, Real Programmers compile using make. And edit in emacs.

And, by the way, welcome to the forums. :)

Welcome to the forums!

Quote:
2 Questions I have about C++ Game programming

Is that in general, or is "C++ Game programming" the title of a book? I assume the former in the following answers:

1) This a question with too little context to answer correctly at the moment, sorry. There's so many ways one can get an image onto the screen.
2) It's confusing that you're looking for a compiler, whilst at the same time saying "I can do the whole character inventory thing", which implies you've been doing some compiling already.
In any case, in both IDE's there should be a 'Build' option in the menus that will invoke the compiler.

I'd suggest having a look at the Beginners forum FAQ.

Quote:
Original post by Haeglo
1) I can do the whole character inventory thing, but I want to insert an image instead of just text, is this possible?

With the use of a graphics API (Application Programming Interface) like DirectX or OpenGL, yes. Check the API documentation for specific information on setting them up and using them. Windows also has various functions for controlling grpahics in the Console, if you don't want to set up a complete application window.

Quote:
Original post by Haeglo
2) How do you actually create a .exe file? I have editing programs, both by Microsoft (beta) and Bloodshed Dev-C++ IDE but I don't see an actual compiler anywhere.

It's been a while since I used Dev-C++, though I'm pretty sure the Build option is under the Project menu. On Visual C++ Express (which hasn't been in beta since November 2005), click on Build and then Build Solution when you have your project file loaded.

Ok, thanks I figured out the compiler issue.

As far as the image goes I really don't know anything about them, I was looking for images... So I am going to the articles section. Thanks soo much for your help :).

If you're 1 week new to programming i'd really really really stay away from anything having to do with images or graphics of any kind. Both require a solid understanding of a great deal of C++. For both you'll need to be familliar with at least pointers and file I/O, both typically things that don't appear until the last 1/3 of a programming book. You'd probably also need to be using external libraries which could get confusing if you're new to programming.

-me

From what I have learned in the past, if someone says you should wait it usually means that that is what you should do... I'm just going to keep learning the code and the way it works before I start with images, otherwise I might get overwhelmed. Thanks for the advice Palidine. Ohh, and I bought Sams teach yourself in 21 days, heard its good from several people.