Executing Java-code?

Started by
13 comments, last by PurpleAmethyst 17 years, 10 months ago
It seems very complicated to execute Java-code and create .exe-files. Isn't there an easier way? Since I'm using an IDE (Netbeans 5.0) that's able to compile my code, shouldn't it be able to execute it too?
Advertisement
java uses a byte code and doesn't naturally create machine code exes. but you can use third party programs such as: http://www.thisiscool.com/gcc_mingw.htm to make exes that store javas virtual machine inside them with a slight overhead

So you're saying, that on the command line, this:

>MyApp.exe

Is much more complicated than this:

>java MyApp

I don't know about Netbeans, but Eclipse has a console from which you can run your programs. As for turning programs into .exe's - in Java you turn them into executable jar files.

If you get stuck post in this thread, and I'll try and help you out.

Jon
Quote:Original post by bgilb
java uses a byte code and doesn't naturally create machine code exes. but you can use third party programs such as: http://www.thisiscool.com/gcc_mingw.htm to make exes that store javas virtual machine inside them with a slight overhead

If that's the case, shouldn't Java have a format that suits it and will start the program without you having to use the command window?
its not about being more complicated its about whats more convient for the end user and sadly lots of people have no clue what a jar file is.
Quote:If that's the case, shouldn't Java have a format that suits it and will start the program without you having to use the command window?

it does. jar files like polly said.
If JRE is set up right double clicking on an executable jar file should run it. Unfortunately some mobile phone software interferes with this set up, Nokia PC Suite in particular.
Quote:Original post by pkelly83
If JRE is set up right double clicking on an executable jar file should run it. Unfortunately some mobile phone software interferes with this set up, Nokia PC Suite in particular.

I see :)

It just seems like so many steps to create a .jar file :/
But thats a problem for programmers; not end users. Read the link I posted, it's really not that hard, and will probably take you less time than you think.

You just have to create a manifest file saying in which class your main method is, jar it up with your class files, and thats it.

Jon
Quote:Original post by polly
But thats a problem for programmers; not end users. Read the link I posted, it's really not that hard, and will probably take you less time than you think.

You just have to create a manifest file saying in which class your main method is, jar it up with your class files, and thats it.

Jon

Okay, thank you!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement