• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
level10boy

Hardware Instancing Problem

This topic is 4576 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've recently implemented hardware geometry instancing in our in-house next gen tool. Everything has been working fine until I discovered a really nasty bug. When a piece of geometry is instance rendered, if the geometry is over a certain tri-count, about 90000, then only one of the instances is rendered properly with all the others having the same bits of missing geometry. I've tried everything and can't find out why this is happening. Does anyone know of any limitations or gotchas with hardware instancing? The problem happens on both Nvidia and ATI hardware. thanks for any help

Advertisement
I am interested in doing instancing too. Was it a bug in your code, or did you find a work around for a bug in DX?

Thanks.

One thing worth considering is that the benefits of instancing are pretty negligible with polycounts like that. According to the dx docs instancing is most useful when rendering many of the same small object, since all it does is minimize driver overhead and with 80k tris per instance driver overhead is probably not going to be a bottleneck.

Sorry I don't know anything about the 90k problem.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!