Questions for Game Developers about Motion Capture

Started by
5 comments, last by GameDev.net 17 years, 10 months ago
I am looking to see if there are any game developers lurking in the forums that could take some time to answer the following questions for my research on motion capture. I have tried googling this topic but haven't found much pertinent information. So if you an help me out and give your thoughts on the questions, I'd appreciate it. If it is more convenient, I could call you and interview you over the phone. 1. How many game developers companies in the world use motion capture systems when making a game? 2 How many movements usually need to be captured for a typical game? 3. What are costs involved in making a typical game? (Do you have any price lists?) 4. How many games are produced in the world each year that use motion capture. Is there a growing trend in using mo-cap? 5. What is the worldwide market volume for motion capture for game developers? 6. How much time does it take to obtain all movements? Including the: - Time to describe the specific movements to the motion capture company - Time to produce the movements at the motion capture company - Time for the game developers to adjust the movements of the final product after receiving it from the motion capture company 7. What are the typical problems now for game developers in terms of motion capture? 8. Do or will game developers ever take up the opportunity to make motion capture by themselves? Why or why not is it attractive to them? 9. What are the ideal parameters of motion capture systems for game developers? 10. What are the main problems with motion capture systems for game developers now? 11. What do game developers think about inertial motion capture technology instead of traditional optical or magnetic technology?
Advertisement
"Kaj" wrote:

>...research on motion capture.

What's the purpose of this research? Are you writing a paper for school or something?

>3. What are costs involved in making a typical game? (Do you have any price lists?)

Have you tried contacting a local mocap company? There's at least one within bicycling distance of you. I forget the name (the IGDA had a chapter meeting there a few years ago).

>5. What is the worldwide market volume for motion capture for game developers?

Wow, no developer is gonna be able to answer that one - you need to talk to a mocap company, preferably to someone involved in sales and/or marketing.

>8. Do or will game developers ever take up the opportunity to make motion capture by themselves?

Some very large companies probably do, I imagine.

>Why or why not is it attractive to them?

Money. Balance the cost of creating and maintaining a mocap studio versus the cost of borrowing someone else's.

>9. What are the ideal parameters of motion capture systems for game developers?

What does that question even mean? \(^_^)/

Good luck with your research.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Talk to a sales rep at House of Moves (www.moves.com).

-cb
Thanks for the information. I go to school at LMU and am taking an animation class and have decided to do some research about motion capture systems.

I sent some emails to out some local mo-cap companies but I haven't received any responses.
Quote:Original post by Kaj17
I sent some emails to out some local mo-cap companies but I haven't received any responses.

Kaj, you can't rely on email! Use the telephone!
Tom

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

note i dont actually konw this, but i suspect motion capture is rarely used as a few cut scenes isnt worth the time, trouble and cost as well as various physiscs simultion can provide fluid motion with greater flexibility
Motion capture is used a lot. I know that EA, for example, has a motion capture studio in Vancouver that they use for all of their sports games as well and many other titles.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement