What engine for Dungeon Master/Eye of the Beholder clone?

Started by
4 comments, last by Klotus 17 years, 10 months ago
Hi folks, i'd like to code a typical oldschool "SSI Dungeon Crawl Game" like Dungeon Master or the Eye of the Beholder trilogy: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dungeon/7494/nythra/neye1_8.gif Fights will be round based, the rest of the game will mostly stay as it was in the good SSI years. Now my question, since i have nearly no experience in grafic programming (i do code Java for more than 4 years, and have written small games like text-adventures), i am unsure what to use to accomplish my goal. I definitly want to stick with C#, but i think i would be better off with an engine than already does all the grafical stuff i need. Please post any good engines or tutorials which i could find helpful. Many thanks in advantage.
Advertisement
Weil das Spiel langsam ist und Sie Java mögen, können Sie Java benutzen.

Nach etwas Gedanken möglicherweise konnten Sie Flash benutzen. Ich denke, der populär sein würde.
屋根を固定するために何パンケーキそれは取るか。紫色、ヘビに足がないばい。
Quote:Original post by JRavey
Weil das Spiel langsam ist und Sie Java mögen, können Sie Java benutzen.

I didn't understand a single word of what you said, but I'm pretty sure that your are totally wrong.

Quote:
Now my question, since i have nearly no experience in grafic
programming (i do code Java for more than 4 years, and have
written small games like text-adventures), i am unsure
what to use to accomplish my goal. I definitly want to stick
with C#, but i think i would be better off with an engine
than already does all the grafical stuff i need.

I don't know any engine that might help you (don't understand this as "no engine do that") but writing one woulen't be very difficult.

1) you only play with a 2D map
2) your only possible moves are "turn 90° left", "turn 90° right", "move forward", "move backward"
3) you are always at the center of a new tile (meaning that you always have the same window layout)

You don't even have to setup a live 3D engine to create such a game - precomputed 3D should work well enough.

Regards,
I am fond of Truevision3D. They have very good C# support, especially in thier newest version, it is a true managed DLL. I find it pretty easy to use and it will be able to do what you are looking for very easily.

theTroll

Quote:
I didn't understand a single word of what you said, but I'm pretty sure that your are totally wrong.

It takes a remarkable level of arrogance to say that somebody is wrong when you don't even understand them. I would translate it for you, but since you apparently know everything, I should spend that time praising your glory instead.
屋根を固定するために何パンケーキそれは取るか。紫色、ヘビに足がないばい。
JRavey,
I'm sure the poster was just joking when they made that comment (That's how I interpreted it).

code_nerd,
I agree with Emmanuel Deloget that you should try to create a 2D engine as part of your effort (mainly just for the experience). If you don't care about kind of stuff then you could use Truevision3D as TheTroll pointed out. I've had good experience with it.

Klotus

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement