Texture Artifacts - Help me with this and i'll have your children!!

Started by
13 comments, last by GameDev.net 17 years, 10 months ago
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies so far - just to clear up a few issues - i can confirm that the uvs are correct, and that the raw RGB data being uploaded is correct - i've painstakingly ensured this. I'm using a geforce fx 5900 - i can't see anywhere in the dirver settings anything about texture compression.

Can i not explicitly disable this through my code?

If it is texture compression - why does it only appear on particular sides of the polygon??

Thanks again for all your help so far.

Kind Regards,

Chris
Advertisement
Ok - i'm so exicited - it's fixed - I used RivaTuner to disable automatic texture compression - and the results are great - so now the question becomes - can i explicity disable texture compression on a texture by texture basis? Other textures in my scene (that are not packed into an atals are fine with the compression on) so i'm assuming i would need to disable texture compression for my lightmap atlas only - is this correct? otherwise anyone who uses texture compression (for my application) will see these artifacts - are there ways around this?

Kind Regards - and thankyou so much for all of your help,

Chris
Might want to take a look at this:

http://oss.sgi.com/projects/ogl-sample/registry/ARB/texture_compression.txt
You could start by killing off your red lines, instead setting those pixels to averages of their valid neighbours. This will almost kill your artifacts.

It's very weird that your texture unintentionally got compressed though. What does your gluBuildMipmaps or glTexImage call look like?
Its the stupid "optimizations" by the driver. On nv cards in the driver control panel if you slide the image quality settings towards quality then these sorts of things disappear.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement