Sign in to follow this  
ozmic66

ATI cards used for physics

Check out this article: http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTA3OSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA== ATI is saying that you can use their 'older' graphic cards as a physics accelerator which will be faster than ageia's Now I was wondering, if I were to use 3 graphics cards instead of one, would that allow for 3x rendering speed, given some optimizations on ati's side? (no physics involved)

An article I was reading a while back (I don't remember the source), nVidia mentioned using the unused onboard motherboard graphics card (assuming you have installed a seperate agp/pci-e card) as a physics processor.

Quote:
Original post by ozmic66
Check out this article:
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTA3OSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

ATI is saying that you can use their 'older' graphic cards as a physics accelerator which will be faster than ageia's

Now I was wondering, if I were to use 3 graphics cards instead of one, would that allow for 3x rendering speed, given some optimizations on ati's side? (no physics involved)

If the driver allows you to use all 3 cards in the same machine, then you can write an application that takes advantage of them. However, without explicit driver support, the 3 results will appear on 3 different outputs. In that case you have to manually copy the resulting images into the main card's framebuffer, which results in a performance loss. When the hardware support output merging (sli or similar), then there is no loss in performance. For a game that doesn't support multiple graphics cards, the performance increase is usually less than what is expected. (around +50% for the 2nd and +25% for the 3rd card)

Viktor

Sorry, double post... There is a bug in the code of the site when used with opera. (It posts the text but takes you back to the edit screen.)