Sign in to follow this  
Shawn1984

Image processing

I am currently choosing a topic for my project for the image processing course. I am wondering is there some image processing techniques used in the 3d games.I was thinking because image processing takes too much time so it can't be real time. Just my guess. Could anyone give me some information?

Sure, they are quite a few image processing techniques used in games today, primarily in the form of post process effects. Edge detection for things like outline/toon shaders, color correction, blurring, contrast adjustments, compositing using various blending algorithms, etc..
Daniel

Why would you think that? Sure image processing algorithms are used in computer vision, but as far as I know image processing isn't synonymous with computer vision. If he did mean computer vision, I can't think of any use that makes sense, though there was a thread about this a little while back on the AI forum. :)
Daniel

One reason to think he was meaning computer vision was his "takes too much time so it can't be real time". ;)

I am not aware of any game using image analysis to retreive data from it. It could be done to do visibility checks, but as you stated, it might be too slow to be real time.

Cheers!

Eric

Guest Anonymous Poster
I do mean what FBMachine says. In fact, I don't know what computer visoin is doing... Thanks a lot for the information. I decide to do the outline finding for the toon shading.