racing games

Started by
2 comments, last by Valhalla 23 years, 2 months ago
Hi all I am considering coding a racing game, something similiar to World Driver Championship for the N64, and would like to know the basics of such games. I would imagine that the car remains fixed on the screen and that the road, scenery and other objects move in relationship to where the car is positioned? Or, does the car actually move thru the scenery? I know this question is not very clear and there or hundreds of details I am missing, but any info would be great. btw, look to my upcoming demo of my game "Star Strike" coming to a pc near you! Thanks, Don Cathcar
Donald Cathcart
Advertisement
A 3d camera would in general remain semi-fixed with respect to the orientation and position of the car. Given these parameters, the 3d environment would then be rendererd, possibly including the exterior of the car or the interior of the car. If the player is inside the car, then the cockpit might be rendered as bitmpas, or as a 3d model.

I''d kind of like to see a racing game with an iso-style graphics engine...the camera would of course move along, rather than expecting you to be able to drive an entire course on one screen, but I''ve been playing burning metal (www.eyeone.com) and I really like the overhead and 3/4 views of games like that.

Then again, maybe I''m just weird...
--

WNDCLASSEX Reality;
Reality.lpfnWndProc=ComputerGames;
RegisterClassEx(&Reality);

Unable to register Reality...what''s wrong?
---------
Dan Upton
Lead Designer
WolfHeart Software
WNDCLASSEX Reality;......Reality.lpfnWndProc=ComputerGames;......RegisterClassEx(&Reality);Unable to register Reality...what's wrong?---------Dan Uptonhttp://0to1.orghttp://www20.brinkster.com/draqza
No, you have to make the terrain fixed in place and move the car along. Otherwise, it will not work when you add more cars in. Just make the camera follow the car.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement