Sign in to follow this  
Son of Cain

[java] [ 4 Elements V ] Java submission..?

Hello folks, I want to participate in this lovely contest, but I would never be able to deliver something in time, working alone. Anyone sharing the same problem...? Can we perhaps join forces to deliver a Java submission from the very members of the great GDNet's Java Forums...? :D C'mon, I know you want it too! So get in touch: javabeats@hotmail.com. I've got nothing planned, and I will only participate if I manage to enlist other Java maniacs around here. Let's bring up a cool Java submission for the contest ;) Son Of Cain [edit: e-mail address I use in Gaim]

I was thinking about JME, or any other available engine/scenegraph with OpenGL binding support.

Doesn't sound good to spend much time coding an engine when we have such high-quality projects out there. We should concentrate on the game logic itself to deliver a good submission. JME does a great job with graphics/input/sound, or at least the amount required for us to submit a 4E5 game.

Son Of Cain

[By that, I don't really mean we should make a 3D game. We can use OpenGL to develop a 2D game, or even use a 2D game engine]

I was thinking of doing a Java entry, some kind of simple 2d affair. Unfortunately I only know the core Java libraries (no experience of JOGL, JLWGL etc) and I'm starting a new job soon so don't know how much time I'd have anyway.

I'd be happy to do some artwork though, especially if it turns out to be 2d

Hi,

I'm interested!

I have some experience with lwjgl and I'm confident in my ability to program in Java, however I am very new to game programming in general.

I just finished a Software Engineering Degree (awaiting results! oooow).
So I'm currently looking for a job and my schedule is a little up and down at the moment, so I doubt I'd be able to give real focus (at a regular time anyway) to any project probably for about a month or so.

I'm happy doing either a 2D or 3D and my main skills would be designing code/classes and programming.

I have no skill with the art side (textures/models) at all.

Anyhoo, let me know.

- Chris

Seems like we won't be able to gather a team... Out of 100 views to the topic, we are short of replies... :/

As an entry for such a contest, we should expect a short, yet COMPLETE game, with a great focus on playability, as a general, plus the meeting of the elements requirements. To be able to deliver that - working on a good (not stressing) pace - we would require at least 3 programmers, 2 artists and one "sound-guy". Be it a 2D, 3D, single-or-multi player game.

I can provide CVS hosting for the entry in a private server, my boss is a nice guy and will allow us that space, saving the time to apply for a java.net project. I don't know how this work in sf.net, but if it happens to be easier and better than using our server, we can use that.

As for the development itself, we can use an entire set of free or open source tools, from IDE to art.

What do you say, guys..?

Son Of Cain

Quote:
Original post by Spoonbender
A lot of the entries are made by individuals. 3 programmers + others sounds a bit ambitious.

I didn't know that. I thought the majority of the entries were made by small teams. :D

But the main reason why I think we need a small team is time: Most of us here are very busy guys in our daily lives, plus the time dedicated to projects of our own. I would love to participate in this contest, but would only be possible - and reasonable - if I could gather a bit of help: hence the thread.

Also, it's more fun to code with friends than to code alone :D

Everyone are busy though... You might want to check last year's entries. A lot of them were pretty simple, and I think almost all of them were made by a single person.

In any case, it's got to be worth a try, right? [wink]

Quote:
Original post by Spoonbender
Everyone are busy though... You might want to check last year's entries. A lot of them were pretty simple, and I think almost all of them were made by a single person.

In any case, it's got to be worth a try, right? [wink]

Sure thing! [wink]

I really thought the contest level was a bit higher... Sounds like we might even have a chance ;)

So, willing to help out, dude? Or are you going to try something of your own..?

I know some jME and LWJGL. I have done a little MiDi, so if we can't find a sound guy, we can at least do some simple midi background music and effects (if we can't find free resources). I wrote the first 30 LWJGL NeHe tutorial convertions nad add DevIL support to LWJGL. That doesn't make me advanced in OpenGL, but I know how LWJGL works at least :). I know how to use Blender3D and how to write Python export scripts. I have a partial script written that is in jME XML format. I am very familiar with the DOM XML loader in Java, so config and script files won't be a problem.

How much interest do you have so far?

ps. If we have time, we could also use jME physics.

lol, quite a skilled guy ;)
Would expect no less from you, Capn' =D I've "seen" you around these forums for a while, and you've been helpful to people ever since I first came here.

Sounds like we can do it, then. I have my own fair share of knowledge in JME and OpenGL, and plus, networking code abilities, though I don't we might get that far.

I have beem thinking on the concepts of the elements, and have a small idea to suggest to you guys. I'm thinking about working with the concept of vodoo or symbol magic in a gothic European scenario. A few levels of sword-and-sorcery dungeon exploring game. As for the emotions element, I'd like to use horror/survival. For the capitalist element of the game, working with precious ores and jewelry as a means of currency.

Being a modest entry for a contest, if we could setup 3 levels on a gothic mansion/dungeon/cathedral of medieval Europe we would already have what seems to be enough. JME can help us with support for many effects out-of-the-box :D. Plus, we have plenty of examples to inspire ourselves from (i.e. survival horror games/vagrant story/medieval games)

What do you think..?

Son Of Cain

Hi,

Sounds like this could get done, awesome :D

I really enjoy horror games (because frankly, I'm easily scared!)
One of the scariest games I have ever played was 'Fatal Frame' that game scared the hell out of me.

The main reason was the fact you played a pretty much helpless teenage girl, the fact the character spend the entire game very scared really did work.

So my suggestion is instead of swords and sorcery how about making it some defenceless child?

Plot could be something simple, the kid is dared by his friend to enter the old temple/castle/church whatever.
Once inside he gets trapped or falls into the dungeon part.

The vodoo symbols could be used in the dungeon as markers of some kind.
Either very time you see it something bad happens (making the player afraid everytime they notice it) or other way round, the symbol could be used to lead the player to safety (of course this could lead to a nice plot twist ;))

Using this thread to throw around some basic ideas seems like a good idea until a complete team is picked.

- Chris

Quote:
Original post by GentlemanHal
Using this thread to throw around some basic ideas seems like a good idea until a complete team is picked.

Oh yeah, don't mind posting suggestions :D

We shall carry the will of those dwelling on these forums to the 4E5 contest.. =DDD

Quote:
Original post by Son of Cain
lol, quite a skilled guy ;)
Would expect no less from you, Capn' =D I've "seen" you around these forums for a while, and you've been helpful to people ever since I first came here.

Thanks.

More like Jack of all Trades. I try to learn a lot of different material, but I don't get as in depth as I would like. This project would help a lot with diving deep into these subjects.
Quote:
Sounds like we can do it, then. I have my own fair share of knowledge in JME and OpenGL, and plus, networking code abilities, though I don't we might get that far.

I have beem thinking on the concepts of the elements, and have a small idea to suggest to you guys. I'm thinking about working with the concept of vodoo or symbol magic in a gothic European scenario. A few levels of sword-and-sorcery dungeon exploring game. As for the emotions element, I'd like to use horror/survival. For the capitalist element of the game, working with precious ores and jewelry as a means of currency.

Being a modest entry for a contest, if we could setup 3 levels on a gothic mansion/dungeon/cathedral of medieval Europe we would already have what seems to be enough. JME can help us with support for many effects out-of-the-box :D. Plus, we have plenty of examples to inspire ourselves from (i.e. survival horror games/vagrant story/medieval games)

What do you think..?

Son Of Cain

You read my mind. :) I was thinking, also, it would be easier to portray medieval Europe as apposed to modern Europe. Since we are dealing with voodoo/magic, one idea would be Arthurian Britain. But not the traditional "Excalibur" style, but the "King Arthur" with Clive Owen and Keira Knightly.

Anyway, is there a private forum somewhere that we could start gathering ideas in one place? I'll see if I can find one, but if you know of one, that would be easier.

ps Your English is great. Are you native Brazilian?

Hey, thanks ;) I'm a native brazillian, yes.

As for a forum, I don't know of one we could use. Perhaps by setting up a java.net project, or a sourceforge.net project, we might end up with all service we would need for collaborative development. Java.net seems to be best for me, but it requires approval from the kind folks at javagaming.org, I guess. Java.net comes not only with a forum, but with a good system to manage an entire project.

Also, feel free to contact me by IM if you wish: javabeats@hotmail.com being my alias on MSN, for example. Care to share your e-mail in a PM?

I use a Linux box as my only OS, and providing support for Linux (i.e, using Java's portability) would be an issue. I guess there will be no objections on that, hehehe :D

Cya
Son Of Cain

Quote:
So, willing to help out, dude? Or are you going to try something of your own..?

Oh, nah, I'll pass. Trying to make a separate entry with a couple of friends. (we're 2 programmers and an artist, btw. Plus a few misc. people who just hang around discussing the game)
Besides, I'm not a big fan of Java...

Good luck though. [wink]

Well, you can count me in. I've done a lot of Java programming and know the basic API very well. Though I can't say that I have that much experience with LWJGL or OpenGL in general but if it's in Java it won't take me long to pick things up.

Hello,

The guys that agreed to help have gathered on this address. It is a small forum, used by the team members only, in order to carry the discussions and build the game. All work from now on will be done through that forum, so if you're interested to help, please proceed there and sign up.

CaptainJester and I will be the admins of the place, so you can contact us directly if you still have doubts, or use this very thread that we shall visit often until all effort is moved to the other address.

I want to thank you all for the attention given to this thread, and... I have a request: wish us luck ;)

PS: Still hoping for a sound-dedicated fellow... :D

Son Of Cain
a.k.a javabeats

Hey I'm curios as to how's it going with this affair? Its been a month now, and I've visited the forum that is set up -- but an actual sort of journal entry here by one of the developers would be cool. (I'd read it anyhow). (Possibly new thread)? What are the problems. Strengths/Weeknesses of collaborating over the net (especially about story design or whatnot).

L-

Well, none of us have gdnet's subscriptions, I'm afraid. I guess you can only start a developer journal if you're a member, right?

So far, communication is the hardest part of online development. This issue is lessened by the usage of the free forum, IM, etc.. but it's hard to express your ideas fully when you're not talking face-to-face. Also, we live in different time zones, and so we barely have a chance to talk freely.

Much of the work right now is in the design of all concepts; mainly because there isn't much room to deal with problems later, since the time available for development and deliver of the game is an important issue. We've a firm understanding of the desired plot, and we're deciding about specific details of the implementation of each element the contest requires.

We acknowledge this game is supposed to be short, as we don't have dedicated modellers nor much free time available. But still, we're doing our best to design a game that is fun, intuitive and original.

The first worry is to assimilate all the concepts of the contest into an interesting story; This is a submission for a contest with well defined rules. The second worry is to deliver high-quality code: we may not use the available APIs to the fullest of their capabilities, since we do not have the necessary resources and free time, but we wish to use them well and provide a good wokring example of a game for the community.

Son Of Cain

I did want to enter, but I figured the chances of me actually completeing something to my standards were fairly low, and seeing as if I did complete it, it would be my first 'real' game I ever did, I wouldn't have a chance of winning anyway.

The few games I have done have all be concept demos, using old, old school line art.

Here is a thought, a game contest, where you score bonus points, inverse to the number of colours and lines you draw to screen at any given time.