[java] [ 4 Elements V ] Java submission..?

Started by
26 comments, last by Addictman 17 years, 9 months ago
Hello folks, I want to participate in this lovely contest, but I would never be able to deliver something in time, working alone. Anyone sharing the same problem...? Can we perhaps join forces to deliver a Java submission from the very members of the great GDNet's Java Forums...? :D C'mon, I know you want it too! So get in touch: javabeats@hotmail.com. I've got nothing planned, and I will only participate if I manage to enlist other Java maniacs around here. Let's bring up a cool Java submission for the contest ;) Son Of Cain [edit: e-mail address I use in Gaim]
a.k.a javabeats at yahoo.ca
Advertisement
What are you planning on using for graphics, out of curiousity?
I was thinking about JME, or any other available engine/scenegraph with OpenGL binding support.

Doesn't sound good to spend much time coding an engine when we have such high-quality projects out there. We should concentrate on the game logic itself to deliver a good submission. JME does a great job with graphics/input/sound, or at least the amount required for us to submit a 4E5 game.

Son Of Cain

[By that, I don't really mean we should make a 3D game. We can use OpenGL to develop a 2D game, or even use a 2D game engine]
I was thinking of doing a Java entry, some kind of simple 2d affair. Unfortunately I only know the core Java libraries (no experience of JOGL, JLWGL etc) and I'm starting a new job soon so don't know how much time I'd have anyway.

I'd be happy to do some artwork though, especially if it turns out to be 2d
Hi,

I'm interested!

I have some experience with lwjgl and I'm confident in my ability to program in Java, however I am very new to game programming in general.

I just finished a Software Engineering Degree (awaiting results! oooow).
So I'm currently looking for a job and my schedule is a little up and down at the moment, so I doubt I'd be able to give real focus (at a regular time anyway) to any project probably for about a month or so.

I'm happy doing either a 2D or 3D and my main skills would be designing code/classes and programming.

I have no skill with the art side (textures/models) at all.

Anyhoo, let me know.

- Chris
"More computing sins are committed in the name of efficiency than for any other single reason - including blind stupidity" - William Wulf

"Any fool can write code that a computer can understand. Good programmers write code that a human can understand"

Seems like we won't be able to gather a team... Out of 100 views to the topic, we are short of replies... :/

As an entry for such a contest, we should expect a short, yet COMPLETE game, with a great focus on playability, as a general, plus the meeting of the elements requirements. To be able to deliver that - working on a good (not stressing) pace - we would require at least 3 programmers, 2 artists and one "sound-guy". Be it a 2D, 3D, single-or-multi player game.

I can provide CVS hosting for the entry in a private server, my boss is a nice guy and will allow us that space, saving the time to apply for a java.net project. I don't know how this work in sf.net, but if it happens to be easier and better than using our server, we can use that.

As for the development itself, we can use an entire set of free or open source tools, from IDE to art.

What do you say, guys..?

Son Of Cain
im interested. i have some experience with lwjgl and jme
A lot of the entries are made by individuals. 3 programmers + others sounds a bit ambitious.
Quote:Original post by Spoonbender
A lot of the entries are made by individuals. 3 programmers + others sounds a bit ambitious.

I didn't know that. I thought the majority of the entries were made by small teams. :D

But the main reason why I think we need a small team is time: Most of us here are very busy guys in our daily lives, plus the time dedicated to projects of our own. I would love to participate in this contest, but would only be possible - and reasonable - if I could gather a bit of help: hence the thread.

Also, it's more fun to code with friends than to code alone :D
Everyone are busy though... You might want to check last year's entries. A lot of them were pretty simple, and I think almost all of them were made by a single person.

In any case, it's got to be worth a try, right? [wink]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement