• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
SippyCup

OpenGL Multiplayer card game.

This topic is 4494 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm in the planning phase of a multiplayer card game. I have a little experience with OpenGL, and the card game is fairly simple, so I don't think I'll have trouble with that part of it, but I have never programmed a net app, so I don't really know where to begin. I think DirectPlay would be the easiest way to go. The way I think it should work is one player hosts the game, gives his friends the IP and the password and that jazz, and they go into Join Game, put in the info, and they're in. Would DirectPlay be suitable for something like that? As far as I know, it's pretty flexible. Can anyone give me some pointers as to where I can look for some tutorials, code examples, etc? I appreciate it. :) P.S. For you OpenGL programmers, do you think orthographic projection would work for a card game? I've never used it, but it seems like that's what I need.

Advertisement
I wouldn't recommend DirectPlay, it's over-complicated and it's no longer getting updated. Microsoft recommends you use Winsock for now (and so do I).

As for the orthographic projection; yes. That'll be fine (Assuming it's the same as a D3D ortho projection matrix).

Okay, thanks. Should I be able to find some Winsock tutorials easily, you think?

Edit: Already found some. :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!