Defining clickable regions

Started by
4 comments, last by ivarbug 17 years, 10 months ago
I am making a media player and posted a question (that i got answered) about creating a skin to go over the program. I now want to know how I can track the mouse movement and define clickable regions within the program...such as play buttons, etc. Another thing I would like to know is how to create buttons that act as rollovers...I know how to do this using &#106avascript and css, but what steps do I take to accomplish this using c++? Thanks in advance... -Sean-
Advertisement
Assuming you're using the Win32 API, you could do something like the following:

region coordinates:Point pt = {5, 10};HRGN hrgn = Region...check if point is in region:if ( PtInRegion(hrgn, pt.x, pt.y) )      // point in region...

- xeddiex
one..
I would like to try to use another way because I have to check if the mouse is in a certain polygonal area (the button). Doesn't that just try to check if the mouse is at that one single pixel. Also...that function can be a memory hog on the gdi stack when complex polygons are introduced.
Quote:Original post by compugeekpro
I would like to try to use another way because I have to check if the mouse is in a certain polygonal area (the button). Doesn't that just try to check if the mouse is at that one single pixel. Also...that function can be a memory hog on the gdi stack when complex polygons are introduced.

Using the code I posted above, the button is the region:

HRGN hrgn = // button region...

and, the mouse click is the point:

Point pt = {5, 10}; // cursor position

you then check if the mouse cursor/arrow is clicked over the button:

if ( PtInRegion(hrgn, pt.x, pt.y) )
// mouse pos clicked over button...

- xeddiex
one..
Here's a really brief idea of what you can do:

class CButton{public:void Update();{if(PtInRect(&recPosition,Manager.Mouse.ptCurrentPos)==true && Manager.Mouse.bClick==true))bIsClicked=true;}//..other stuffprivate:bool bIsClicked;RECT recPosition;//..other stuff};class CManager{public://..other stuffbool IsButtonClicked(const string &sButtonName);{find button//<- psudo codereturn pButton->bIsClicked;}private:CMouse *Mouse //mouse class would be updated based on mouse buttons clickedlsit of buttons//<- psudo code//..other stuff};//main.cppif(Manager.IsButtonClicked("Button1")==true)    //play sound, etc whatever

HTML5, iOS and Android Game Development using Corona SDK and moai SDK

I'd create some arrays.

unsigned char windowIndices[Max_X * Max_Y] = {0xff},buttonIndices[Max_X * Max_Y] = {0xff};//0xff - empyunsigned char numWindows;WINDOW *windows;//255 max/*...*/class BUTTON{/*...*/};class WINDOW{public:   unsigned short x,y,width,height;   unsigned char *windowsPrev,*butonsPrev;//window width * window height   unsigned char numButtons;   BUTTON *buttons;//255 max   bool visible;   void Display(void);//slow//If window isn't visible//Draw window into "windowIndices" and buttons into "buttonIndices"//Store previous indices on window area   void Hide(void);//slow//If window is visible//Restore previous indices/*...*/};void CheckMouse(void){   unsigned int pixel = Mouse.Y * Max_X + Mouse.X;   unsigned char winIndex = windowIndices[pixel],                 butIndex = buttonIndices[pixel];   switch(winIndex)   {   case 0:      switch(butIndex)      {/*...*/      }      break;   case 1:/*...*/      break;/*...*/   }/*...*/}

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement