Advice on my school..

Started by
15 comments, last by CaveGamer 17 years, 9 months ago
I hear lots of opinions which is good, but I guess It shouldn't really matter concidering.. my grades in highschool were really really bad, and due to the fact that I work full time.. I don't really have any choices as far as where I can go to take classes that best fit my schedule. Another thing, the campus is about 2 miles from where I work, meaning I can take classes after work and not have to worry about taking most of the classes online which have it's pro's and con's, also you can't go wrong with teachers so you can ask them for help.

As for they listing of classes, I'm not really sure if those were the name of classes or just a summary of things to be learned in the degree program. Obviously there will be some calculus involved or it wouldn't be a programming degree. I'm going to register for classes pretty soon so I'll give you guys an update on the schedule when I receive it.

I believe, without any experiance on my own part, that It's probably going to come down to what I know to get hired at a job as opposed to where I got my degree from.

Sean.
Advertisement
@Josh - Yes, the math class is Calculus. It looks like they go through the same Calc courses we did at dP. It seems that the biggest differences are that there is less graphics and more software engineering (which I actually think might be better anyway). Well, that and they don't have Hanson or Ellinger :)

He does make a good point, though. DeVry doesn't have a reputation yet, so the "name" on your degree won't mean much. However, only the most shallow people care only about the name on the degree. As he said, your portfolio is what will make you shine, the degree will just teach you what you need to know to get there.

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

IM currently going through the game and simulation programming at DeVry myself. Honestly, Ive been attending classes (originaly for CIS) for a couple years, and I love it. I havent heard of anyone (until now) who didnt have a good opinion of DeVry. The staff is helpful, always able to help out where its needed, especially if its an online course. Most of what I have taken so far has been the basics, nothing really on this degree in particular, but next month I'm set to start GSP110 - An introduction to Game and Simulation Development .

Hopefully its a good degree, but Im not paying for it, so.... hehe.. I love it when your work pays for you to go to school, even if it is not related to your job at all..

Squiggly Frog - My little project place on the web. Updated as I see fit. =)

It's even better when you don't work for that job anymore and they are paying for your schooling... Military ;)

Sean
Hello,

I'm new here and thought I'd chime in on this post. I see it's about a month old, but, I've been reading the boards for about a month now and researching a LOT of different options for schools dealing with the world of game development. I even took the tour of Full Sail, in the flesh, which was impressive. I also looked at local schools in my area. Everything from Georgia State University, Art Institute of Atlanta, CSU in Morrow, Ga. and Devry Online University. I have decided on attending Devry University's Online Bachelor degree program for Game and Simulation Programming. The entire course is online and fits my life "like a glove"! I can't WAIT to begin in September!!

I personally have found two consistent truths in ALL of everyones postings that go back to 2004 up to this thread now, from what I've researched. It matters ONLY to the individual on where you feel COMFORTABLE going to school. And, no matter who you are or where you get trained, or educated, if you don't treat what you want in life like you REALLY WANT IT, then no amount of training or harvard schooling will make a difference to your employment down the road. There are always the exceptions, but then again, desire can't be taught.

so basically it comes down to my little nutshell question to yourself, after, of course, you've done the research:

Do you personally feel comfortable with the school? and,
Do you have the desire to follow your dreams?

And when I think of desire my favorite definition is this:

The feeling that accompanies an unsatisfied state.

So re-read it this way:

Do you have the hunger?

-- CaveGamer
No amount of motivation will compensate for ignorance. No amount of drive will make your instructors more competant.
You are right. Motivation by itself will do nothing. I am referring to motivation towards getting educated. And einstein can't teach a rock.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement