Advice on my school..

Started by
15 comments, last by CaveGamer 17 years, 9 months ago
Well.. I am enrolled in Devry University in the brand new degree program that they have.. Bachelors in Game and Simulation Programming. I just want to know people's thoughts on the school itself and whether the degree will look really good on a resume. I have no prior programming experiance, so I know college is going to kick my ass. Everyone wish me luck and if you have any advice.. Please share it with me.
Advertisement
It's a little late to ask those kinds of questions. Anyway, getting the most out of what the school has to offer is much more important than how the degree will look on your resume.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
I mean.. I just wanna know what people's views on the school are... It's my only choice right now since I work full time.. it costs somewhere around 60k for the whole degree ... my military benefits are paying for it though... so just what are your thoughts?
The important thing is that you learn the material and ideally have something to show for it. The degree itself will likely make little difference. Unless Devry just flatout has a crap program... I'm not sure, as I haven't checked it out at all.

Don't try to get good grades. Try to understand what you're doing. The good grades will come naturally.
I went and gave a talk at DeVry a few months ago, and got a short look at their game degree program. I got my degree at DigiPen (which I'm very happy with) and it looks as if the DeVry program is fairly similar to dP. What I've seen of it looks good.

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

I'm not impressed with their computer engineering degrees, seeing as how a friend of mine got his and couldn't find a job in that field and I had no trouble getting a job with a traditional four-year degree from a state school. I can't say anything about the quality of their game degrees though. Considering how game development degrees are so new, none of the programs, with the exception of Digipen of course, have been around long enough to really establish a reputation, good or bad.
Ok.. I just am hoping to god I don't waste my money or time and am not as respected... because of it.. I mean god damn I'm paying more than any other school.. it's gotta be somewhat good.. it's a UNIVERSITY..
BTW... This is the first term of this degree ever... so noone knows how the program is.. but I do have a list of the classes which are as follows:

Core: Computer applications for business, introduction to game and simulation development, practical game design, visual and audio game design fundamentals, simulation design, modification and level design, software engineering for game programming, project management

Technology Infrastructure: system architecture and assemble, connectivity, game engine design and integration

Programming: programming logic and design, object oriented programming, data structures and artificial intelligence, multi-media programming, programming for massively multi-player online games

Communication Skills: Composition, advanced composition, professional writing and public speaking

Humanities and Social Sciences: Principles of economics, contemporary history and literature, social issues of technology, psychology, culture and society

Personal and Professional Development: Career development and critical thinking

Mathematics and Science: College algerbra and trigonometry, math for game programmers 1 and 2, discrete math and college physics

++ Mid term and Senior project

Based off of that.. does it sound good? legit? will be looked highly apon?
You can never judge a book by a cover... same goes for a degree program ;P
...also dont leave it upto someone else to tell/teach you what you need to know)...( by that i mean dont leave it up to any school/teachers to get you all the knowledge and info needed ). Take some initiative and find out( like you are )

-good luck
Quote:
programming for massively multi-player online games

Heh...

I don't have a particularly good opinion of DeVry, and I don't know anybody who does. That doesn't neccessarily say anything, though (however, I do know people who have attended or taught there who don't have a good opinion either, but it would be up to them to come and explain themselves).

Who knows, maybe this new program is good? I can tell you that course names are beneficial in trying to determine the quality of the program at all -- course content is much better. For example, you list no calculus courses (but maybe that's what "math for programmers" is?) and the aforementioned "programming for MMOs" class makes me chuckle, but hey, maybe its just a networking class? At least there are no "C++ programming" courses.

Also, no new program will be particularly well-respected. It will take time for a school/program to establish itself as respectable; often a long time. Given the general negative attitude towards DeVry that I've experienced, I'd venture to guess that you are not going to be able to ride on your degree's "good name" at all, which means you'd better focus on getting the best education out of it that you can and building a pretty awesome portfolio.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement