Black Screen

Started by
4 comments, last by Namethatnobodyelsetook 17 years, 10 months ago
Hello, I have come to try and solve a problem. I have created procedures to import a .x file using various tutorials. I have managed to Initialise and Render without Errors, however when the window shows up, it appears blank. I have added light aswell to shine on the mesh but no light appears either. I know this is a vague problem, but I am wondering what would be my problem? I will post the ...rendering? procedure of DirectX. I'm sure in order to help this I need to show something else, please ask to see it if necessary. D3DXMATRIX matShip1; g_d3dDevice->Clear(0, NULL, D3DCLEAR_TARGET, D3DCOLOR_XRGB(0, 0, 0), 1.0f, 0); g_d3dDevice->BeginScene(); //Render Graphics /////////////////////////////// g_d3dDevice->SetTransform(D3DTS_WORLD, &matShip1); cDirectX::RenderMeshes(); /////////////////////////////// g_d3dDevice->EndScene(); g_d3dDevice->Present(NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL);
Advertisement
You need to set the WORLD, VIEW and PROJECTION matrices.

The WORLD matrix you're setting does not seem to be initialized. I'd suggest calling D3DXMatrixTranslation() on it to set some translation in world space, such that it's not centered on the camera.

You should clear the screen to some ugly color, such as magenta (red=1, blue=1, green=0) so that geometry that shows up in black can actually be visible -- this lets you know whether you have a texturing problem or a geometry problem.

Last, use Pix to debug drawing problems. You can record an entire frame (or an entire run of a program) and step back and forth among the different draw calls, inspect the device, and see what the different states are. Very slick.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Don't forget the most common 'black image' problem. Lighting is on by default, and without lights everything will be black. SetRenderTarget(D3DRS_LIGHTING, false); should fix that.
Thanks for the reply :)

hmm, setting these Values were done in my Camera Initialising Method, do you suggest I do it again in the Rendering?

Also when I Clear the Screen to (1, 1, 0) (Magenta) it stays black, what does this mean?

I will try and use Pix to see what I can get out of this.

...Setting this to false, Do you mean I should turn off lighting? If so I need to have a value for colour? I don't think I have that.
Just so for some help in understanding my project,

HRESULT cDirectX::InitialiseD3D(HWND hWnd){	//Tell our class object which instance of class it is going to be	m_WindowClass = new cWindow();	//First of all, create the main D3D object	g_D3D = Direct3DCreate9(D3D_SDK_VERSION);	//Set the Depth Level	cDirectX::m_Depth = 32;	//Set the Device Type	cDirectX::devType = D3DDEVTYPE_HAL;	//Get the Format Based on the Depth	cDirectX::GetFormat(g_D3D, m_WindowClass->blnFullscreen, cDirectX::m_Depth, &g_Format);	//Create a structure to hold the settings for our device        D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS d3dpp; 	//Clear it    ZeroMemory(&d3dpp, sizeof(d3dpp));	//Fill the structure. 	//We want our program to be windowed, and set the back buffer to a format	//that matches our current display mode    d3dpp.BackBufferCount				= 1;						//There is 1 Backbuffer    d3dpp.BackBufferFormat				= g_Format;					//The Backbuffer Format    d3dpp.hDeviceWindow					= hWnd;						//Handle of Our Window    d3dpp.SwapEffect					= D3DSWAPEFFECT_DISCARD;	//Discard Each Frame, We Don't Need Them	d3dpp.FullScreen_RefreshRateInHz	= D3DPRESENT_RATE_DEFAULT;	//Default Refresh Rate	d3dpp.MultiSampleType				= D3DMULTISAMPLE_NONE;		//No multi-sampling		//If Windowed	if(m_WindowClass->blnFullscreen == false)	{		d3dpp.Windowed					= TRUE;	}	//If Fullscreen	else	{		d3dpp.Windowed					= FALSE;		d3dpp.BackBufferWidth			= m_WindowClass->m_Width;		d3dpp.BackBufferHeight			= m_WindowClass->m_Height;	}	//Create a Direct3D device.	g_D3D->CreateDevice(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, cDirectX::devType, hWnd, D3DCREATE_SOFTWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING, &d3dpp, &g_d3dDevice);		//Set Some Options	//Turn on back face culling. This is becuase we want to hide the back of our polygons    g_d3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_CULLMODE, D3DCULL_CCW);	//Turn on Depth Buffering    g_d3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_ZENABLE, D3DZB_TRUE);	//Set fill state. Possible values: D3DFILL_POINT, D3DFILL_WIREFRAME, D3DFILL_SOLID	g_d3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_FILLMODE, D3DFILL_SOLID);	//Fix the Scaling Being Darker	g_d3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_NORMALIZENORMALS, true);        return S_OK;}

void cDirectX::InitialiseCamera(void){	//The Matrices	D3DXMATRIX ViewMatrix;	D3DXMATRIX ProjectionMatrix;	D3DXMATRIX WorldMatrix;	//The Vectors	D3DXVECTOR3 EyeVector;	D3DXVECTOR3 LookatVector;	D3DXVECTOR3 UpVector;		//The Aspect Ratio Float	float fAspect;	m_WindowClass = new cWindow();	EyeVector = D3DXVECTOR3(0.0f, 0.0f, -10.0f);	LookatVector = D3DXVECTOR3(0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f);	UpVector = D3DXVECTOR3(0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f);	D3DXMatrixLookAtLH(&ViewMatrix, &EyeVector, &LookatVector, &UpVector);	cDirectX::g_d3dDevice->SetTransform(D3DTS_VIEW, &ViewMatrix);	fAspect = ((float)m_WindowClass->m_Width / (float)m_WindowClass->m_Height);	D3DXMatrixPerspectiveFovLH(&ProjectionMatrix, D3DX_PI / 4, fAspect, 1.0f, 100.0f );	cDirectX::g_d3dDevice->SetTransform(D3DTS_PROJECTION, &ProjectionMatrix);		D3DXMatrixIdentity(&WorldMatrix);	cDirectX::g_d3dDevice->SetTransform(D3DTS_WORLD, &WorldMatrix);}

void cDirectX::Render(){	//Define the Matrices for Our Mesh Objects	D3DXMATRIX matShip1;    //Clear the backbuffer to a Magenta color	g_d3dDevice->Clear(0, NULL, D3DCLEAR_TARGET, D3DCOLOR_XRGB(1, 1, 0), 1.0f, 0);        //Begin the scene	g_d3dDevice->BeginScene();	//Render Graphics	//Initialise the Camera Object	cDirectX::InitialiseCamera();	///////////////////////////////	g_d3dDevice->SetTransform(D3DTS_WORLD, &matShip1);	cDirectX::RenderMeshes();	///////////////////////////////    //End the scene	g_d3dDevice->EndScene();        //Flip the back and front buffers so that whatever has been rendered on the back buffer	//will now be visible on screen (front buffer).	g_d3dDevice->Present(NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL);}

void cDirectX::InitialiseMeshes(LPSTR pFilename){	LPD3DXBUFFER pMaterialsBuffer = NULL;	LPD3DXMESH	 pMesh			  = NULL;		D3DXLoadMeshFromX(pFilename, D3DXMESH_SYSTEMMEM, g_d3dDevice, NULL,                       &pMaterialsBuffer, NULL, &m_dwMaterials, &pMesh);    D3DXMATERIAL* matMaterials = (D3DXMATERIAL*)pMaterialsBuffer->GetBufferPointer();    	//Create two arrays. One to hold the materials and only to hold the textures	m_MeshMaterials = new D3DMATERIAL9[m_dwMaterials];    m_MeshTextures  = new LPDIRECT3DTEXTURE9[m_dwMaterials];    for(DWORD i = 0; i < m_dwMaterials; i++)    {        // Copy the material        m_MeshMaterials = matMaterials.MatD3D;        // Set the ambient color for the material (D3DX does not do this)		m_MeshMaterials.Ambient = m_MeshMaterials.Diffuse;		// Create the texture - it may not exist.		if(FAILED(D3DXCreateTextureFromFile(g_d3dDevice, 											matMaterials.pTextureFilename, 											&m_MeshTextures)))		{			m_MeshTextures = NULL;		}    }	//Make sure that the normals are setup for our mesh	pMesh->CloneMeshFVF(D3DXMESH_MANAGED, MESH_D3DFVF_CUSTOMVERTEX, g_d3dDevice, &m_Mesh);	//Compute the Normals and Send Them to the Mesh Object	D3DXComputeNormals(m_Mesh, NULL);}

void cDirectX::RenderMeshes(){	for(DWORD i = 0; i < m_dwMaterials; i++)	{		//Set the material and texture for this subset		g_d3dDevice->SetMaterial(&m_MeshMaterials);		g_d3dDevice->SetTexture(0, m_MeshTextures);        		m_Mesh->DrawSubset(i);	}}

void cDirectX::InitialiseLight(){	D3DLIGHT9 d3dLight;	//Initialize the light structure.	ZeroMemory(&d3dLight, sizeof(D3DLIGHT9));	d3dLight.Type = D3DLIGHT_POINT;		d3dLight.Position.x = 0.0f;	d3dLight.Position.y = 10.0f;	d3dLight.Position.z = 0.0f;	d3dLight.Attenuation0 = 0.1f; 	d3dLight.Attenuation1 = 0.0f; 	d3dLight.Attenuation2 = 0.0f; 	d3dLight.Range = 200.0f;		d3dLight.Diffuse.r = 1.0f;	d3dLight.Diffuse.g = 1.0f;	d3dLight.Diffuse.b = 1.0f;		d3dLight.Ambient.r = 0.0f;	d3dLight.Ambient.g = 0.0f;	d3dLight.Ambient.b = 0.0f;		d3dLight.Specular.r = 0.0f;	d3dLight.Specular.g	= 0.0f;	d3dLight.Specular.b	= 0.0f;	//Assign the point light to our device in poisition (index) 0	g_d3dDevice->SetLight(0, &d3dLight);	//Enable our point light in position (index) 0	g_d3dDevice->LightEnable(0, TRUE);	//Turn on lighting    g_d3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_LIGHTING, true);	//Set ambient light level	g_d3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_AMBIENT, D3DCOLOR_XRGB(100, 100, 100));}

all of these functions are called within the project, the majority are called in a initialise game function. I think the problem is in how the DirectX is initialised, it just won't produce any results.
The only thing I see is that you never setup matShip1 before programming it as the world matrix.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement