How do you interpolate to get the desired angel?

Started by
13 comments, last by Motorherp 17 years, 10 months ago
I have got the angle of the Enemys start rotaion and the desired angle i wish it to rotate but how do intrpolate so that my enemy does not just jump to that angle? //Get the inverse of the Enemy matrix mat4 EnemyMatInversed; mat4 MatResult; f32 angleToIntruder; //get the inverse of the Enemy matrix Matrix_m3inversed(&EnemyMatInversed,&pData->EnemyMatrix); //Multiply the Intruder Matrix by the Inversed //Enemy Matrix and store it in Mat Result Matrix_m3prodd(&MatResult, &pData->IntuderMatrix,&Enemy MatInversed); //get the angle by the atan2 of x and z angleToIntruder = Maths_atan2(MatResult.mat[3][0], MatResult.mat[3][2]); //Get the angles from the Enemy matrix f32vec3 angles; Matrix_m3matrix_to_euler(angles,&pData->EnemyMatrix); //Rotate the Matrix by a said angle tkaMatrix_m3roty(&pDat->EnemyMatrix,???);
Advertisement

Well you should think the problem in another way : You know your current direction and you know the direction where the enemy lies. Which way should you turn to reach the other angle. The speed of rotation is another issue, but when you can answer the first one question, the speed is quite simple thing.
Great googly moogly!! what are you doing there? That is truely disastrous ;). We've already told you how to solve this problem in your other thread:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=396808

If you're having problems understanding any of it then simply say which bits are confusing you and I'll try and make things clearer. To be honest though I get the impression that maybe you're getting in a little over your head and you need to brush up a little on your 3D maths skills. Once you're able to visualise the effects that cross products and rotations etc have on matricies and vectors these problems become trivial to work out for yourself.
[size="1"] [size="4"]:: SHMUP-DEV ::
So is my equation wrong to get the angle of the Player and to get the start rotation of the Enemy?
Quote:Original post by Prog101
So is my equation wrong to get the angle of the Player and to get the start rotation of the Enemy?

Unfortunately this is my point exactly ... if you cant see this for yourself then you're in too deep and you need to do a bit of studying. If it helps I'll give you a run down on what exactly is going on in the maths you posted:

In the first two steps you are putting the rotational part of the intruder matrix into the object space of the enemy. You then work out the angle between the intruders position in the x-z plane (y=0) with the origin. Finaly you extract the Euler angles from the enemy matrix. It would take a pretty good imagination and some more maths to use this data to rotate the enemy to face the intruder ;).

I do see what it is you're trying to do though. If you subtract the enemies position from the intruders position, rotate the resulting vector by the inverse matrix you calculated, the take the angle to this point this will give you the angle to rotate by. Its a very inefficient way of doing it though.

Time to crack out the maths books and the pencils and paper ;). I recommend 'Engineering Mathematics by K.A.Stroud'.
oh wow...
all those matrices, and euler angle conversion....
thats too complicated

my approach:

current direction is a vector, desired ending direction is also a vector
to get intermediate positions, I average them, with different weightings depending on how far between each I want to be.
Might also do a distance constraint between the previous and new direction vectors, to cap rotation speed.
Be sure the renormalize each time!
Whats wrong with good old vector to vector interpolation :)

Playerdir = Playerdir + (Enemydir - Playerdir) * Value;

Where 'value' is 0.0 - 1.0.

If you want to include interpolation over time:

Value = Clamp(DeltaTime * Speed);
Playerdir = Playerdir + (Enemydir - Playerdir) * Value;

You probably wanna make a function vec3lerp(vec3 &v1, vec3, &v2, float s) or something for that.

Simple isn't it?
Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!
Vector interpolation wouldn't work if you need a smooth rotation (by the way you forgot to normalize the angle).
I would suggest quaternions if you're not that afraid of math. They have a nice slerp ( spherical interpolation ) function.
Quote:Original post by smurfkiller
Whats wrong with good old vector to vector interpolation :)

Sadly there's a few ;). For a start he's wanting to rotate an orientation matrix so that its heading vector looks at a certain point in space (the intruder). Interpolating the heading vector is one thing but what do you do with the rest of the matrix? This type of vector interpolation only realy works for vectors which are already closely aligned anyway since you're effectively interpolating across a line where as the vector would sweep out an arc. Since the length of the vector changes across the interpolation line this leads to uneven rotation, and in the worse case, when you want to get to a vector which is the exact opposite, results in zero rotation or instantaneous flipping. This is why its much better to rotate, or even better still do it with quaternions.

Edit: Doh, beaten to the punch ;)
Right Guys i have solved it, all i have to do is calculate when they are facing each other and stop the rotation.

//Get the inverse of the Enemy matrix
mat4 EnemyMatInversed;
f32 angleToPlayer;

//get the inverse of the Enemy matrix
Matrix_m3inversed(&EnemyMatInversed,&pData->Enemy2Matrix);

/*Multiply the Player Matrix by the Inversed Enemy Matrix and store it in Mat Result*/
Matrix_m3prodd(&pData->MatResult, &pData->PlayerMatrix,& EnemyMatInversed);
angleToPlayer = Maths_atan2 (pData->MatResult.mat[2][0],pData->MatResult.mat[2][2]);

if ( angleToPlayer < 0 )
Matrix_m3roty(&pData->EnemyMatrix, -0.2);
else Matrix_m3roty(&pData->EnemyMatrix, 0.2);

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement