Sign in to follow this  
frankmail007

Best open source/free texture/image loader library

There are a lot of open source texture/image libraries. I'd like to select one in my game. Here are the basic requirements: 1. Free ( can be used in commercial product ) 2. Support image loading/saving for jpg,png,bmp 3. Support loading image from memory 4. Support image resizing 5. Cross platform supports such as Windows, Linux and Mac OX (optional) I know a few of this kind of libraries such as corona, FreeImage, DevIL, ImageMagic. Can anyone advise which one is the best for me? Thanks

I also recommend DevIL. I use it myself and it is really nice. It has pretty simple syntax (looks a lot like OpenGL), works on Mac, Windows, Linux/Unix. Supports lots of image formats (including export).
It is also able to load images from memory and contains library of various effects (resize, rotate, emboss...).
It is licensed under LGPL, so it should be OK to use it in commercial project.

I tried to compile DevIL 1.68 RC1 by using gcc/Mingw32 from Codeblocks. The result is ... error. The error message is:

C:/Program Files/CodeBlocks/include/jmorecfg.h:161: error: conflicting types for 'INT32'
C:/Program Files/CodeBlocks/include/basetsd.h:52: error: previous declaration of 'INT32' was here

Could anybody help?