Time needed for animating a character?

Started by
10 comments, last by FugueInCPP 17 years, 10 months ago
I don't know where an hour per second came from, but it certainly doesn't apply to a small indie game. In my experience, animation is the LEAST painful part of character development. Perhaps it's just because I enjoy it so much.

If your a noob then there is a steep learning curve, and you'll probably end up doing stuff a few times though, so don't go mental if that happens [smile].

EDIT 1: To answer your original question... If you are talking about a standard human with no fancy pants stuff, that's about 4 hours to build to a decent level (although it can take many multiples of this if you want a particularly perfect model). Rigging with a default max biped takes perhaps an hour or two. The animations you talk about would maybe take another hour or two. These time's can change considerably if your model is anything other than a normally proportioned human though.

EDIT 2: If it's just rigging and animation you want then pm me and I'll give you a quote, should be considerably cheaper than buying motion captures and in many cases is far superior.
------ ----- ---- --- -- -Export-Games.com is searching for talented and friendly developers. Visit our Help Wanted post for more info!My Indie development uber Journal - A game production walk through.
Advertisement
Another option for a hobbyist title is to use a program like Poser. Poser has a number of options to simplify the task of generating animations -- for instance, their walk designer allows you to 'mix-in' different movement styles (e.g. sneak, aggressive, etc). You could then write a python script to export these animations to your game format. There is also a large community of content creators for Poser, so you could purchase cheap animation sets, poses, or even models from sites like Daz3D (www.daz3d.com).

This is probably not the route you want to go if you have a talented 3D artist and animator on board, but it's not a bad avenue of approach if you're a programmer. :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement