[.net] VS2005: Immediate window replacement

Started by
4 comments, last by Jonas B 17 years, 10 months ago
Is there an add-in that's similar to the Immediate window, but with code completion, better coloring etc? If not, how hard is it to write add-ins? Some people complain that the API is badly documented and buggy, is that still true?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Jonas B
If not, how hard is it to write add-ins?

Warning:

* The Express editions can't use add-ins.
* The Standard edition can't develop add-ins.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
I use Pro.
Quote:Original post by Jonas B
If not, how hard is it to write add-ins? Some people complain that the API is badly documented and buggy, is that still true?

Documentation isn't all that bad, really. However, most parts of the automation API has to be implemented by the developers of a VS package (which usually contain support for a specific language), not by the VS shell itself. This means that the implementation can and will differ from project type to project type. For example, I've encountered several places where one implementation's collections are indexed from 1 to length, whil others are from 0 to length-1. And don't get me started on all the E_NOIMPL/NotImplementedException cases...
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Quote:Original post by Fruny
* The Standard edition can't develop add-ins.

That should be read as "The Standard Edition doesn't ship with a project template for creating an addin". You don't need that template. Heck, you don't even need VS to create an addin.

--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
OK, thanks. Maybe I won't run into those problems too much, as the addin won't communicate much with the loaded project.
I'll probably go with Boo.Lang.Interpreter instead of compiling C# code into a temporary module (or is there an equivalent in .NET these days?).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement