• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tom

Uncle Tom wants YOU!!!

This topic is 6392 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m pinging this forum to keep its connection alive, and since Morfe and everyone else is whining about not having anything to discuss (I say that jokingly), then maybe you people will toss me some bones on my project. Please? I''m a huge fan of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. I love the engine, the graphics, and especially the soundtrack. But I also love the gameplay, because I grew up with a Nintendo in the age of side-scrollers. (Don''t get me wrong, I haven''t deleted UT since I bought it, but I do pick up Castlevania on many occasions.) Here''s the story. . . I''m making a parody side-scroller by the name of Sofie''s Adventure. The idea came to me back when I first played C:SotN seriously on my friend''s Playstation, before I requisitioned my own copy of the game. Unfortunately, I''m running out of ideas. Sofie is a sweet law secretary who''s been chosen to save the world from the trecherous forces of Llama. The game is basically a parody of every video game and anime you''ve ever seen. It''s also adult-oriented (because I love lots of blood and death), but I fully intend to add "reduced content" modes for the kiddies. Tell me what you want to see in a parody, and you''ll receive full credit should I use your idea. Here are some existing elements of the game: Sofie''s primary form of attack is martial arts. With experience, she can learn dozens of flashy, super-human techniques, like the "Army of Darkness" shotgun attack. Sofie can find help along the way, in the form of computer-controlled companions and familiars. There''s no technical limit to the number of characters that can follow her around, and at one point in the story she has five followers, all of whom will attack without being told. The game has lots and lots of zombies. More zombies than all the Resident Evil''s put together. Most of them were created within a toxic waste manufacturing plant, and they are addicted to soda pop. A super-computer is planning to take over the world, and it has established a base of operations on the asteroid Gaspra. The computer is building an army of ants to overrun mankind. A group of jellyfish-looking aliens (Metal Slug 2/X) thinks sheep are the master race. One of the main characters created a clone of himself, but it turned out to be female. His clone then proceeded to make clones of herself, and now there are three clones in various parts of the world, each with its own agenda. One of Sofie''s melee weapons is a hand that she can use to grab people and throw them. She can also acquire a sword that gains strength as it slaughters enemies. The game is rife with machinima cut scenes. Please feel free to dump your ideas on me. I''m sure I can stitch them into the story somehow.

Advertisement
>Sofie''s primary form of attack is martial arts. With
>experience, she can learn dozens of flashy, super-human
>techniques, like the "Army of Darkness" shotgun attack.
There''s something I''d like to see changed. Sofie is a lawyer right, which means she probably trains about one hour a week.

So... since it is a parody and all... Sofie''s primary form attack is martial arts - but she''s crap at it.

>Most of them were created within a toxic waste manufacturing
>plant, and they are addicted to soda pop.
Heh heh heh... that''s cool.

>One of the main characters created a clone of himself, but it
>turned out to be female. His clone then proceeded to make
>clones of herself, and now there are three clones in various
>parts of the world, each with its own agenda.
Another cool idea. But you might be missing an opportunity here. What could be worse than to have dozens of female clones following you - think of all that nagging, gossipping, and petty arguments. You could have a field day with the script.

Anyway...

Ever seen Robin Hood: Men In Tights? Remember how the King''s mole kept moving from scene-to-scene? I always thought something like that would be quite funny in a game????????

To be honest though, I don''t think you need any help on this project. It sounds fantastic to me.

Thanks.

But I forgot to mention. Sofie is only posing as a law secretary. She is a practicioner of the world's most powerful fighting style, kooljitsu . Her potential for destruction is without parallel---if only she could learn her moves.

I like your clone idea.

Perhaps it would be best if I were to expound on my story a bit. The thing is friggin' huge so far (my document is 35 pages, but it's unabridged), so I'll only cover the major details.

Sofie begins at a kooljitsu convention, where she talks to her master Devin Peschbourne about some strange dreams she's been having. He explains to her that she was chosen to partake of a great quest given to her by the Omega Circle. (Her dreams have absolutely nothing to do with this, of course.)

Of course, Sofie knows of the Omega Circle. Nine of the coolest people in the universe who are obligated to eradicate any excess Llama in the world and maintain the natural balance. But they were captured by somebody (nobody is quite sure who) and held someplace (nobody knows where), and Sofie has to find them.

Throughout the story, she meets associates of the Omega Circle. One such fellow is Marconius, a master swordsman who's been living on the streets eating sour cream since his idols vanished without a trace. Another is Anna Bergite, a geek who runs a geeky computer store that would put Microsoft out of business if only Anna had any kind of business sense.

Sofie's adventure takes her through all kinds of places, from the slums of Sheep Heap to the pristine walls of Vantage Crew, to the zombie-infested streets of Lake Genova, where a man named Jacob was in charge of Omega's shipping manifests before they disappeared.

She also rockets into space to face an electronic menace in the asteroid belt, and aliens beneath the icy surface of Europa. The framework of the story is not so much an issue as my lack of clever ideas to fit in between scenes. That's where I need some help.

So, any more ideas?

Edited by - Tom on February 16, 2001 12:07:00 PM

If you''re paryoding anime, someone should be able to pull a humongous mallet from the mallet dimension for one of their attacks. You could do lots of fun things with that army of ants - have you read Rudy Rucker''s _The Hacker and the Ants_? It''d be tought to beat the perky pat family and the antland of fnoor. I can just see some of your ants getting their programming scrambled and going off to build sandcastles and abstract art...

and btw partaking of a quest would be eating the quest. she should partake in the quest.

It''s funny you should mention a mallet. An 18-foot mallet plays a very important role in the story, as do circus monkeys.

>She is a practicioner of the world''s most powerful fighting
>style, kooljitsu . Her potential for destruction is without
>parallel---if only she could learn her moves.
>Sofie begins at a kooljitsu convention,

Hmm... just a thought here. If kooljitsu is the worlds most powerful fighting style - would there really be enough people to fill a convention?

Surely kooljitsu would be a closely guarded secret by it''s few practitioners.

That''s a good point. Thanks again, Eight.

Let''s revise a bit. She''s actually attending a game developer''s conference, where she just happens to run into her kooljitsu master. (Anybody willing to make a cameo, let me know. It''ll be a great inside joke for the residents of GameDev.) In the story, Sofie meets only five characters who know kooljitsu (excluding her master and the Omega Circle), so I very much see your point.

Keep these ideas coming! I''m going to upload a synopsis of the story to my website. I''d like people to peruse it and give me feedback, if you''re willing. I''ll let you know when it''s ready.

Just wanted to let everyone know I''m leaving for a few months. Don''t bother posting anymore replies to this thread unless you want to share them with others, because I''ll never see them. (I won''t have access to my computer again until July.) I''m declaring this thread closed, although I don''t have the authority to prevent further posts.

Thanks for the ideas.

Heh, I know he won''t see this, but what if one of the sidekicks has a voicebox, and you can *barely* understand what he''s saying...ala the Half-Life grunts ;P

-Ryan "Run_The_Shadows"
-Run_The_Shadows@excite.com
"Doubt Everything. Find your own light." -Dying words of Gautama

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!