How much faster is c# at making games than c++?

Started by
83 comments, last by ShawMishrak 17 years, 10 months ago
Hi I was wondering how much faster c# is at making games than using c++?, as in time to make. Because I usually use c++ to make my little 'pet' games, but I was thinking of playing with something new, and possible faster to code with. So if c# is faster at development, it would give me a reason to use it :)
Advertisement
That really has more to do with your proficiency with the language than the language itself. If you are twice as good at programming in C++ then you are in C#, then I don't think it will be any faster. However, if you are just as good at doing C#, there are certain benefits to the language that may help you get up and running in a smaller time frame.

If you're looking for faster code however, stick to C++. It might take you a little longer to develop, but the code itself will most definitely be faster to run.
Yes it's true that to be 'fast' with any language you need to master it first. However, C# is not a bad language to have learned to be prepared for what's coming. So it's a good investment anyway.
Quote:Original post by Morpheus011
If you're looking for faster code however, stick to C++. It might take you a little longer to develop, but the code itself will most definitely be faster to run.

This has been debated over and over and still hasn't been proven.

At any rate, as you said, the best language is the one you are most comfortable with.
I say stick with C++ and if you need to rapidly develop anything, pick a game engine that may be used with C++ for graphics, audio, or whatever you need.

:)
I ask for help and you give me a book? I hate book. Book is stupid.Also known as Yellow at the Dark Basic forums.
Short answer:
2D games: the same
3D games: the same
Unreal 3, Quake 4, Xbox 360 or PS3 games: C++ (notice you don't have the skill, expertise, or even know-how to even approach a game on such a scale, ergo, don't bother trying to make one)

Sorry misread question.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Depends at what state you are in both languages. In my opinion, C# will be fastest if you are realivly new/inexperienced in both. With C# all of the 'core' stuff is done for you, works out of the box etc. However, with C++ while yes, you get the standrad library many people don't know about it or use, and then there's boost etc. I'd also say because C# handles a lot of the low level stuff, and is more syntacilly restrictive that C# is faster than C++ in terms of development. One of the only reasons the big teams are sticking to C++ is because they have massive reusable code bases.
Ollie"It is better to ask some of the questions than to know all the answers." ~ James Thurber[ mdxinfo | An iridescent tentacle | Game design patterns ]
Are there any clear cut benefits to switching if you already use C++? I don't think so because everything you can do in C# can and probably has been done in C++. It's like replacing your car when the one you have works perfectly fine, it's actually pretty wasteful.

From the start though? I don't know, I'm entrenched in C++...
If you're developing applications, C# has a big advantage of C++ in terms of rapidness in development (just drag-n'-drop the controls and add event handlers: no messy WinProc and subclassing stuff) however, in terms of game development... there's no real advantage... other that .net handling the garbage collection and other nitty-gritties (like strings and arrays) for you, which could be solvable by STL or your own home-brewed library.

it's not too bad to learn C# to, it may help you in creating level editors and stuff.
C# has a far larger library than C++, and the language has some other features that are very useful, but unless you need to switch, you probably shouldn't.

Although, I switched from C++/OpenGL to C#/MDX, and i'm glad I did.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement