Strange CPU/Memory Usage

Started by
1 comment, last by NotAYakk 17 years, 10 months ago
My project is a game engine, but I figured this question belongs here since it seems to be a general programming issue and could happen regardless of what I'm programming. That being said, when I first built and ran the program, it sucked up 50% CPU usage, and ~35mb of memory. Those numbers were fairly constant throughout numerous builds. My most recent build, I left the program run for about 15 minutes (I had to leave the computer) When I came back, CPU usage was at 5% and memory was ~6mb. Now, CPU usage is always below 6%, but the memory usage is always above 34mb. Does anyone know why all of the sudden without making any changes, it uses less CPU time?
Advertisement
The CPU and memory usage numbers you see in the Task Manager are not very useful. Ignore them. The change is probably due to another process taking up a lot of the CPU or your engine doing a lot of waiting, and the OS decided to reclaim some of the memory.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
At the least, add in the "Virtual Memory Size" column.

The data still isn't that useful (to a pathological degree @_@), but it is more useful.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement