Sign in to follow this  
flizzoyd83

Windows Network Emulation

I have been using netem and NIST net for simulating network latency in Linux for some time now. Now I have moved to developing for the Windows environment and am wondering if anyone has any solutions to simulating network conditions such as latency and jitter in Windows. The game I am currently working on is using DX8.1 and DirectPlay 8(I know its old but I'm building off of some code from an old book.) I know that the DX8 SDK comes with a program called dp8simui.exe for adding latency but it doesn't seem to work. Any suggestions or comments on how other developers test the network performance of their games would be appreciated. Thanks

That may be what we end up doing. Does anyone know of any software solutions for Windows. I should actually say "free" software solutions. I've already seen a few network emulation programs that seem to be so expensive that they wont tell you a price.

I'd go with hplus's idea. Put something (Linux box, hardware router etc) in between two windows boxes, and use a "real" network.

Presumably there's something you can get for Linux to simulate a certain amount of latency.

Mark

I don't think its neccesary to access the network to emulate lag and packet loss and maybe the one you used before works this way.

To test my network stuff im gonna make a class like "NetworkDisturber" and hook it to my server/client before it actually sends or after it receives.
Shouldn't be too hard i think, just delay, mangle and delete some packets.