making a fps using opengl

Started by
5 comments, last by Tesl 17 years, 10 months ago
Tutorials that would get me started on drawing my primitives and textures. Controlling the camera so that I can navigate levels. I have decided I will use opengl. But I have just started opengl so i need so basic stuff as well
Advertisement
1.) Do you know a programming language already? If not, you might want to pick up C++, as its the most common language used with OpenGL. Check the forum FAQ for some good tutorials. You should have about a year of programming experience before you attempt to get into 3D graphics, otherwise you will find the going quite difficult.

2.) NeHe's tutorials are highly recommened by many, and you might also want to look around for the book Beginning OpenGL Game Programming.
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
Quote:Original post by programwizard
2.) NeHe's tutorials are highly recommened
by many, and you might also want to look around for the book Beginning OpenGL Game Programming.

also, http://www.gametutorials.com has some good stuff that nicely complements the NeHe stuff.

-me
I strongly suggest you read the NeHe (link in above post) tutorials to help you understand OpenGL.
You may find that making a game like an FPS while learning OpenGL may be difficult, but if you do don't give up! Try making a smaller game to get the basics down first if you have to.

Good luck!
hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- the fear of big words
Looks good. But how do I make it multiple os compatible. I would think linux and windows opengl work slighly differntly. Thanks alot guys
The OpenGL code for different platforms is similar. It just varies slightly from language to language.

The differences are where API calls are neccessary. Take a look at the first set of tutorials. They cover a lot of the os-specific stuff.
There are also several versions of the code for each advanced tutorial. Download the Code Warrior version for example and you'll have a Mac version.

Look up the topics conditional compilation and download ports to other platforms.
The hard part is writing an abstraction layer that forwards the os specific functions (like creating a window) to the correct function calls.

EDIT: BTW. for portability you can also use SDL (www.libsdl.org) in combination with OpenGL.
Given enough eyeballs, all mysteries are shallow.

MeAndVR

If your looking to code a full FPS, I really do suggest that you use an existing engine such as Irrlicht or OGRE. Only because that really does make it a lot easier, and if you are having to ask questions like these now I can only imagine how challenging you would find writing the entire thing in OpenGL.

Not only that, but those graphics engines use OpenGL or DX for rendering, so you dont have to worry about keeping things cross platform so much.
"Leave it to the computer programmers to shorten the "Year 2000 Millennium Bug" to "Y2K." Isn't that what caused this problem in the first place?"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement