PNG decoder updated

Started by
6 comments, last by Lode 17 years, 9 months ago
I updated my png decoder, it changed quite a lot since 2005. LodePNG is a PNG image decoder that doesn't use libPNG or any other libraries (no external dependencies), and is intented for games to load 32-bit RGBA textures stored as PNG files. This is better than using BMP files, because the PNG files are compressed (lossless), and support an alpha channel for your textures. The code is now more optimized, and in the documentation (which is in the header file), a fully working example is included. LodePNG is BSD licensed and easy to use. The files (lodepng.cpp and lodepng.h) can be found here: http://student.kuleuven.be/~m0216922/pngloader/ If you think you can use it, please try it out! Let me know if you find any bugs, possible abuses, or ways to improve the code. Thanks! (maybe I'll also make an encoder with similar style in the future) [Edited by - Lode on June 7, 2006 8:37:32 PM]
Advertisement
Anyone, pretty please? :)
welke richting volg jij?

is dat een project dat jij op school moest maken?

ik ben van plan burgerlijk ingenieur te doen in computerwetenschappen software engineering.

nick
Someone who uses a, euhm..., delta!?
ik zit in laatste jaar burgie elektrotechniek multimedia, aan de KULeuven.
Is vrije tijd project.

PM me als je meer vragen hebt :)
My compliments again as I already mailed you, it's nice to have some focused and unbloated png loading code, haven't found anything like this. It works well for me.

Have you made any changes except for api and documentation since the last release (which was in april I think)?
Great docs mate. I might use this. It looks quite well designed.
Quote:Original post by DeadXorAliveHave you made any changes except for api and documentation since the last release (which was in april I think)?

A few small details in the code have been improved, but nothing important.
I hope it's ok to bump this thread, but I updated it quite a lot more since the last time, and I added an example to it that can show png images in an SDL window with a console command.

Also, I made a comparision about the easyness-of-use between libpng and LodePNG, which I thought was somewhat funny:

HOW TO READ A PNG FILE WITH LIBPNG

// variables      unsigned char buf[4];      png_structp png_ptr;      png_infop info_ptr;      png_uint_32 width, height, scanline;      int bit_depth, color_type, interlace_type, row;    // open the file      fp = fopen( filename, "rb" );    // read signature      if ( fread( buf, 1, 4, fp ) != 4 ) printf("couldn't read");    // check if valid png      if (png_sig_cmp( buf, (png_size_t)0, 4 ) ) printf("not a png?");    // create the png reading structure, errors go to stderr      png_ptr = png_create_read_struct( PNG_LIBPNG_VER_STRING, NULL, NULL, NULL );      if (png_ptr == NULL)      {          fclose(fp);          return;      }    // allocate info struct      info_ptr = png_create_info_struct(png_ptr);      if (info_ptr == NULL)      {          fclose(fp);          png_destroy_read_struct(&png_ptr, (png_infopp)NULL, (png_infopp)NULL);          return;      }    // set error handling      if (setjmp(png_ptr->jmpbuf))      {          png_destroy_read_struct(&png_ptr, &info_ptr, (png_infopp)NULL);          fclose(fp);          return;      }    // set input method      png_init_io(png_ptr, fp);    // tell libpng we have already read some bytes      png_set_sig_bytes(png_ptr, 4 );    // read all info      png_read_info(png_ptr, info_ptr);    // get some characteristics of the file      png_get_IHDR(png_ptr, info_ptr, &width, &height, &bit_depth, &color_type,          &interlace_type, NULL, NULL);    // get size of scanline      scanline = png_get_rowbytes( png_ptr, info_ptr );    // allocate texture memory      location = new (unsigned char)[scanline * height];    // read the image line by line into the user's buffer      for (row = 0; row < height; row++)      {          png_read_row( png_ptr, (unsigned char *)(location+(row*scanline)), NULL );      }    // finish reading the file      png_read_end(png_ptr, info_ptr);    // get palette, if any      if (info_ptr->palette)      {          palette = new (unsigned char)[768];          memcpy( palette, info_ptr->palette, 768 );      }    // free png structures      png_destroy_read_struct(&png_ptr, &info_ptr, (png_infopp)NULL);    // close, exit      fclose(fp);

HOW TO DO THE SAME WITH LODEPNG:

//declare variables    std::vector<unsigned char> buffer; //this will contain the file    std::vector<unsigned char> image; //this will contain the pixel data    std::vector<unsigned long> info; //this will contain the information    //all variables are ready, now load the file and decode the PNG    LodePNG::loadFile(filename, buffer); //use filename of existing PNG file    LodePNG::decodePNG32(buffer, image, info); //decode the PNG, it'll be in image, converted to raw RGBA format        //check error to see if everything went ok. If not, display the error value.    if(LodePNG::hasError()) cout << "\nerror: " << LodePNG::getError() << "\n";

Actually, I'd like to ask why the way to load PNG files with libpng is so complex? Is this way the best functionality - ease of use tradeoff?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement