Problem in loading large texture...

Started by
4 comments, last by EonStrife 17 years, 10 months ago
First of all, I'm developing a simple card game for just me and my friends in my class. The game uses a large png image file (2048x1024), in which all cards are put into that image. When I want to display certain card, I calculate the texture coordinate. Oh, yeah, I load the png image to my program using Corona library. I use GeForce 6200. The problem is, some PC can show the card textures but some can't. Soon, it is discovered that the ones which can't, haven't updated their graphic drivers (or, they use the one comes with WinXP). To make things worse, some of my friends are too dumb to know how to update driver, yet they demand large and smooth card images. If I resize the card to 1024x512, the image will be pixelated. If I turn on Anti Aliasing on that 1024x512 (or 1024x1024), they don't like it since it's blurry. Can anyone tell the solution for this problem ? Thanks...
Advertisement
Maybe you can change your act work to make it small. or classify your card to make them several main bitmap, but a few busyer.

It's hardware limited so I can't think out a better way...and 2048x1024 is really TOO big that I can't think about it.

good luck!
What if I divide the texture into 5 texture images, with each size is 2048x256. So, that means I have 5 texture objects in memory...
I wouldn't go with the 2048 x something sized texture.

I don't think many older cards work with much more than 1024x1024 textures. So I'd split the cards into 1024x512 or something similar to that. This is probably your hardware limitation, especially if you are running them on older home computers or school PC's.

Hope this helps.
Can u assemble all the cards on the fly.

In this way, you just need:

One Blank Background card.
Four Shape images
Some fine images: J,Q,K

It will save you more memory.
but you need to do more work to get the final image.
Thanks guys :)
How about this :
I split the cards, so each card has its own file, with each is 128x256. Then, I load all card files to memory (RAM). When it's needed, I transfer the needed image to OpenGL/Graphic card...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement