Port numbers available for use?

Started by
3 comments, last by JRavey 17 years, 10 months ago
Hey guys. I'm totally new to network programming. But I'm trying! Anyhoo, I'm wondering what port ranges are available for use in indie games... I know that chat programs use certain ports (Yahoo, MSN Messenger, etc), and so do popular online games (Quake3, HalfLife2, etc). The Paper-Scissors-Rock socket programming demo uses port 5555 (which Norton AntiVirus picks up as a trojan - go figure). What ports should I use for my games that won't infringe upon any of the standards? Thanks in advance for the info!
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw"
Advertisement
WELL KNOWN PORT NUMBERS

"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Cool, thanks for the info LessBread!

Just to make sure I understand correctly, I can pretty much use any port number from 49152 through 65535?
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw"
I'm not an expert but you might be better off using an unassigned port numbers in the range 1024-49151.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Some time ago, I had a problem where only one test user couldn't connect to my server and it turns out that his ISP was blocking him from sending anything to that particular part. Make sure you keep this possibility in mind as I spent nearly a week looking for the cause of this problem.
屋根を固定するために何パンケーキそれは取るか。紫色、ヘビに足がないばい。

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement