------------->Texturing Terrain<---------------------------

Started by
1 comment, last by Ecko 23 years, 2 months ago
Ok a little background...I''m new to terrain...I "understand" all the LOD stuff the only problem I''m having is how to texture the thing. I''ve noticed that a lot of people tend to just use one huge texture to incompass the whole thing, but I downloaded the crytek demo last night and they used separate textures...I wan''t to know how to do this or be pointed to a tutorial etc. My idea was that the texture for the terrain was 2024x2024 (how ever big!) and was calculated using the textures that are loaded from file. This seems like it would work, but is there a better way? or is this the right way? OH FYI I''m going to use a ROAM implementation (unless someone else knows of a better form of LOD control over terrains). ----------------------------------------------------------- "If I wanted to hear the pitter patter of little feet I would put shoes on my cat" "Yeah sure women can fake orgasms, but men can fake whole relationships"
-----------------------------------------------------------"People who usualy use the word pedantic usualy are pedantic!"-me
Advertisement
Here''s a solution thought up by my brother for making 3D images, but it should work in games just the same. You take a few small textures (one for grass, dirt, rock, etc.), and make transparency maps for each one, so you can have like layers of textures. The transparencies can be 1024x1024 and look fine, but you could probably even get away with 512x512, and since they''re grayscale, they don''t take much memory. Just repeat the actual textures as much as you want, so it looks like one ultra-huge texture map when rendered^_^

-Deku-chan

DK Art (my site, which has little programming-related stuff on it, but you should go anyway^_^)
That''s what QuakeIII (Team Arena and later versions) does for terrain.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement