Sign in to follow this  
nunez12

Help with direction getting started. "Graphics"

I came on here about 1 1/2 weeks ago saying about how I didn't know where to start in C++ game programming. I got some information from people, they were very helpful and I decided to buy "Beginning C++ Game Programming" It has been a very helpful book and I have learned pretty good concepts, I havnt' finished the book yet, I'm about half way through. I would like to know where and when to start with basic graphics, I thought of using OpenGL. But online I heard that you should know maths such as trig and calculus. I am only in 9th grade and I do not know any of these maths. Where do you think I should start with the graphics is my question, I heard DirectX was way to hard for beginners. But these are the only graphics systems I know of. So where than?

Alrighty, well if you've only been at the language 1 and a half weeks (that's what I'm hearing), then I wouldn't recommend going to a graphics API just yet. Even so you seem to be progressing pretty well, so soon should be fine. I have to agree with what you've heard on DirectX. My first attempt with graphics was using DirectX, my that failed miserably. Next I tried OpenGL... same thing. Then I tried a library my friend recommend, SDL. It's extremely simple, and great to get started on. After about 2 weeks on SDL I dumpped it and tried OpenGL, and I'm going strong with that now (or at least trying). So I'd basically recommend SDL for starters. I hope that's of some help! :)

-Etyrn

P.S.
www.libsdl.org - libraries
http://lazyfooproductions.com/SDL_tutorials/index.php - excellent tutorials, almost a little too complete even

Quote:
Original post by nunez12
But online I heard that you should know maths such as trig and calculus. I am only in 9th grade and I do not know any of these maths.

No matter what grade you are if you don't do VERY advanced stuff. If you do, you also don't need write by yourself. There are maths lib writed by others out there. I think you may have a good deal with a programming language you prefered, else you MUST get trouble when debuging sooner or later.

No matter what graphics API you choose, you can study them all then use the best for you.

A SIDE NOTE: OpenGL is just for graphics(no input, audio, networking...). For starter I recommend SDL:
http://www.libsdl.org

good luck

Quote:

But online I heard that you should know maths such as trig and calculus.

Math, in one way or another, is essential to any nontrivial program. It can be anything from simple arithmetic to linear algebra to calculus, et cetera.

For the specific case of writing applications with 3D graphics, it is very important that you have an understanding of vectors and matrices and the associated linear algebra concepts. Some calculus is beneficial at times, but mainly as an offline step for building an algorithm or a technique. You can of course muck about in the realm of 3D graphics without really knowing what you are doing, but you won't get very far or produce very rich results.

The math involved in 2D graphics tends to be simpler. In any case, it can be difficult to move on to graphical APIs unless you are moderately competent in the language. You might want to try your hand at developing a text-based game so you can get some experience building a non-trivial program before you add the extra complexity of managing graphics into the mix.