Sound for a Global RTS?

Started by
17 comments, last by Pedro Camacho 17 years, 8 months ago
Whatever music or sound you end up implementing in the game, it sure looks cool!

Just sayin.

Brian
_____________________Brian Timmons, ComposerMy Music
Advertisement
Id like to say that I have been waiting for this game my whole life. :D

Soft little click here and there like you mentioned said would be good. Just to give the player a tactile sense. Some ambient music of the likes that have already been mentioned as well.

Your webpage shows images that make it seem that you can click on armies and cities. I’d simply give each of those a sound.

City sounds like: horns honking, industrial noises, loud background noises like speech (stand on the corner of 42ns street in Manhattan and you’ll know what I mean.)

Army sounds like: the movement of tanks, some general and generic orders being tossed back and forth, boots marching (the nazi goosestep sound).

Perhaps your army has 2 sounds. The one I mentioned for “movement” and one for when it is actually fighting another army. This one would sound like, tanks firing, “medic!”, men calling in for fire missions from indirect fire support (artillery/mortars) gun fire (several different calibers of course) lots of radio chatter etc etc etc.

That’s pretty much all you’d need.

Now that I think about it, let the player play his own music. Include an mp3 player. I don’t want soft ambient music while I conquer the world. Screw Yani. I want KMFDM playing “a drug against war.” Get me really pumped up.
Pedro Camacho has been commisioned to help us out with Music and FX and hopefully once he has overcome the problems he is having with his setup we should have something to showcase.

After discussing it a bit further we opted to steer away from the 'Radio Chatter' type approach for the sounds. 1) Because they rely on language, and we would rather keep the game language independent to broaden the appeal. 2) Because you need a lot of different samples, otherwise it becomes repetitive and annoying 3) it denotes a level of involvement that the 'Commander in Chief' never experiences in this game. (units are entire battalions, rather than individual soldiers)

We are going to try to go with a more abstract - R2D2 type chirps which we can use to express, warnings or affirmative or negative. We feel it is more in keeping with the Mission Control type setting and it should work well with the music we have planned. It will still give the player the all important feedback and we can build up our own vocabulary.

[Edited by - slog on August 2, 2006 7:17:10 PM]
That's definitely the safe way to go. What I had suggested is ambitious at best and overkill at worst. Hope Pedro gets his system going so we can check it all out soon. That's when you'll get the best feedback instead of random speculations!

Actually, to further that thought... I teach and produce game audio for a living. The teams I work with will usually go to Alpha with only placeholder sfx and music, spare a few custom SFX they ask me for. After seeing and playing the Alpha version I not only get a good idea of the scope and theme of the game (design docs only explain so much, the rest is gameplay and individual reaction) but I know what works and what doesn't work audio wise. That's when I get to work and have a deadline of getting all audio assets to them before Beta. By then you should all be in agreeance of what's best for the game. After that, it's all polish and gold-plating...hopefully.

So good luck to you and Pedro! I think you have plenty of people interested in this games outcome so that's a good thing!

Tony
Pedro has been busy burning the midnight oil and has the first cut at the Title Music.

To my untrained ear it sounds fantastic. I am particularly happy with the tone that is set. I think that he has captured perfectly the conflict between Responsibility and Opportunity that defines the game.

I'd like to hear the communities feedback.
Global_title_beta.mp3

I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I did composing it.

This is still not the very final piece, it still needs some little polishing but you get the ideia.
The download is now offline because the music is still WIP and many things have changed meanwhile. I will make a post about the music after with the final version.
Hey for what it's worth the track was really good. Was it intended for menus? Scenarios?

Tony
It is the Title Screen music, where the main menu also shows up.
I am glad you liked the track but it still needs some work to be considered final version.

I don't usually post my work on forums but I will give you some 2 or 3 demo tracks for you to listen a bit.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement