Asteroids 3D Game

Started by
7 comments, last by XiGency 17 years, 10 months ago
This is my first ever 3D game. I programmed it over the weekend in C++ and it uses OpenGl and GLFW. It uses simple 3D shapes and particles. In the future I plan to add Sound, Music, Online High Score, Online Multiplayer, and I ultimately plan to port it to PSP with the PSPSDK from ps2dev.org. Screenshots: Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting Download: Old Asteroids.zip New Download [Edited by - XiGency on June 12, 2006 5:05:08 PM]
Advertisement
Nice job dude! I had fun with it.

How are you doing collision detection? Are you thinking about releasing the source?
Thanks :). I just used the distance formula in math, so: sqrt( (x1-x2)^2 + (y1-y2)^2 ). Sure I'll release the source, it's actually really simple, only about 1,000 lines. I might have to clean it up a little bit, but I'll include it in the next release.
I fixed a few bugs and commented the source a bit more.

File:
Asteroids 3D 0.2 with source
Thanks, I'm looking through it.

Suggestions:
1) not use glaux, I can't compile on code::blocks with mingw
2) usually functions aren't defined in header files, this works because you have one cpp file
3) use true/false over TRUE/FALSE
4) maybe not use messagebox's to make the code more cross platform
5) your code reminds me of LaMothe's asteroid game, have you seen that code?

Cheers
No I haven't seen LaMothe's Asteroids code. I don't think it actually requires glaux, but this is my first OpenGL app, and I don't really know what glaux does :). The reason the code is in header files instead of cpp files is because I'm using vc++ 05 and it compiles any cpp files externally, so I thought it would be easier to call them headers. The only capitalized trues and falses are in code that I've taken from other examples.

[Edited by - XiGency on June 9, 2006 10:14:19 PM]
Ok, got it to compile.

* comment out <gl/glaux.h>
* include <windows.h>
* change TRUE to true
* make sure to link with glfwdll and not the static version

Wow, did you say VC++ 5. Retro dude! Never heard about the header thing.
VC++ Express 2005 :).

For the game, I wanted to organize it by keeping the source in multiple files. But I had to call them headers because VC++ doesn't use makefiles, so you don't actually specify what to build, it just builds all the C and CPP files in your project. I've been trying to find a way around it, because I don't want to have to make headers for them to specify extern functions, since that seems a bit overcomplicated for a little game.

And I fixed all of the other problems, I'll upload it with the source once I add something new.
All right, I did a lot of work on the graphics, and added stars, Earth, the moon, and venus to the background. I also added [fake] shadows and outlines around the asteroids to make them easy to see against the background. I put the download link in the first post, along with a screenshot.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement