Laggy and delay game in a share connection

Started by
0 comments, last by hplus0603 17 years, 10 months ago
To Real experts: My house got 4 ppl using one router to connect to internet. The router got 4 ports for each of the 4 PC. Some of them use bitcomet to download movies. Therefore, sometime when i play online called dota, it is so laggy and delay. I am damn piss off. I politely tell them to reduce the amount of movie to download and they do so. Now, I tired of begging them to do so when i play dota next time. I am looking for long term solution without creating any unpleasantness among my housemate. 1) I would like to know if there is anyway I can regulate the the router's transfer rate manually designated for each PC's connection. Is it where called the TCP (Transmission Control Protocol) should be setup manualy to achieve this goal? In the end, I just want a fair share transfer rate for each of the PC connection. I hate it when one of the ppl overtake all the connection in the house. Do you know how to do it. If you do, pls teach me. Thank you.
Advertisement
Sadly, this is a multiplayer game PROGRAMMING forum. I'm sure we'd all be happy to help you configure your router for playing a game, but that's really a question you should ask at your router vendor's help forum.

In general, what you want to do is called "traffic shaping" or "rate limiting" and cheap consumer routers don't have any controls for that. The cheapest solution would be to get a Linux box to act as your router, and configure that to do the shaping and forwarding you want -- that requires guru skills, though. A more expensive solution would be to get some Cisco gear that does NAT and traffic shaping, and set it up.

Google for those terms and I'm sure you'll come up with whatever you need to get it to work. Good luck!
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement