• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Acid rain

For Xbox

This topic is 4492 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Really developing for XBox is quite difficult. You need to become a licensed developer for the XBox, i.e. Microsoft has to approve that you can develop for XBox, and you need to buy an (expensive) development XBox and the XBox XDK.

I know of two options now:

• Install Linux on your XBox (More info) and develop a Linux(-compatible game).

• If you think you have a really great idea, and want to take a shot at becoming a licensed developer, read this document, code away and submit your stuff for approval.

EDIT: typo

[Edited by - DaBono on June 8, 2006 2:56:33 PM]

Or you can take the most practical route -- Get a job at a game company that develops for it.

An individual won't get a devkit. Established companies have to jump through a bunch of hoops just to be considered for it.

Quote:
Original post by Acid rain
How and where do I get started programming for Xbox. I don't know anything about it. HOW!?!?!

Program a game in DirectX 8 for PC. If it's good enough, you could try and get it through to a publisher. Porting DX8 to XBox is a relatively easy process (or DX9 to XBox360).

Oh, and all the punctuation is unnecessary.,;![_:`)?

Keep in mind it's probably vastly unlikely that a publisher will bother with it. Just write a PC game.

Quote:
Original post by Ravuya
Keep in mind it's probably vastly unlikely that a publisher will bother with it. Just write a PC game.

That's what's nice about it, though. You can write a PC game with XBox in mind without doing any extra work, then if a publisher does show some interest the port is (relatively) easy. That's one of the things that makes developing for XBox such a (comparatively) painless process.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!